• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak vs Half Jackets

Jason Vollrath

Oakley Beginner
I'm going to get a new pair of glasses and I'm down to Flak Jackets or Half Jackets. There doesn't appear to be much difference to me on the surface. Any suggestions/reviews on which would be the better set? On a side note what are the XLJ and XL options on either set?

Is if half jacket 2.0 or the original ones?

I have Flak jackets and have tried original half jackets. The half jackets feel a bit tight for me. Flaks are a wider fit and I find them really comfortable.

XLJ are just a larger lens not a different frame. I've had XLJ lenses and standard, I prefer the look and coverage of XLJ but that's just my opinion.

Can't go wrong with the fit , comfort , looks of the Flak jacket XLJ 's .

Last edited:
If OP is asking about XL vs XLJ lenses, then he's likely looking at Half Jacket 2.0. Original Half Jackets have been discontinued.

I haven't tried on a pair of HJ2.0, but i love Flak Jackets, both Standard Fit and the XLJ.

These guys are correct. Flak Jackets are larger then Half Jackets. I have a couple pairs of Flaks, a pair of Halfs and a pair of Fast Jackets. The Half is the smallest one and probably looks the best on me. But my favorite are
Flaks. As Ptownphil said there are lots of options for Flaks, but they are also more expensive then Halfs.

Hj 2's r good but nothing beats the flak when I liquidated most of my collectioni kept almost all Flaks and Sj 2's because the fit I's perfect for me and there are a lot of in store flak options not on web site I am wearing my IH frames with + red xlj lenses today

Flak Jackets for me, just look better than the Half 2.0. I also don't like the fact to Icon is on the top of the Half Jacket, to me that is just dumb from a brand recognition perspective.

A couple of weeks ago, I lost my black "Radar Path Polarized" sunglasses that I've had for quite a few years, so I decided I like the "Half Jacket 2.0 XL Polarized better. In the meantime, I've been wearing my old Oakley black "Square Wire (not polarized)" glasses and felt like I was reliving the 90's. LOL! Anyway, I was torn between the Half Jacket 2.0 XL and the Flak Jacket XLJ. I went into a Sunglass Hut and tried both of them on. I liked the upward angle shape of the HJ XL, but I didn't like the O logo on the top of the temple arms. Other than those two differences, they are practically the same, IMHO. I ended up buying the Half Jacket 2.0 XL.

Back