• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flight Jacket and Field Jacket

Local store didn't have the Flight Jacket, so I'm not so willing to grab it just yet.

Even though I've bought pairs at retail and if not generally for as much or more money, $223 isn't something I'm in a rush to spend.

A few riders using them today in Paris-Roubaix...

Epic race today!

20180408_153716.jpg

20180408_144046.jpg

I flip-flopped on my last post and decided to (pre?) order the Flight Jacket. Navy/Retina. The SportRX videos covered the venting function really well.

I think my bottom line is that this is the next installment in Oakley's 3-year pattern for top-priced items. Jawbone in 2009, Radarlock in 2012, Jawbreaker in 2015, and now this is the premiere product they're trying to push in 2018 with the Field Jacket. I can imagine it was hard for the sport R&D team to find an angle to improve upon the Radar EV and Jawbreaker (and the Flak 2.0), and given that success I think they earned continue trust from consumers to try something new. The Zero EV was more of a retro novelty in my opinion but even that worked really well.

The Flight Jacket can seem gimmicky, and I personally prefer full frames just so they're less delicate to handle, but at the cost of versatility is what sounds like a an even more focused, more dedicated design. The Field Jacket definitely covers versatility now. It's like they took the Jawbreaker and split it in to two successors.

I flip-flopped on my last post and decided to (pre?) order the Flight Jacket. Navy/Retina. The SportRX videos covered the venting function really well.

I think my bottom line is that this is the next installment in Oakley's 3-year pattern for top-priced items. Jawbone in 2009, Radarlock in 2012, Jawbreaker in 2015, and now this is the premiere product they're trying to push in 2018 with the Field Jacket. I can imagine it was hard for the sport R&D team to find an angle to improve upon the Radar EV and Jawbreaker (and the Flak 2.0), and given that success I think they earned continue trust from consumers to try something new. The Zero EV was more of a retro novelty in my opinion but even that worked really well.

The Flight Jacket can seem gimmicky, and I personally prefer full frames just so they're less delicate to handle, but at the cost of versatility is what sounds like a an even more focused, more dedicated design. The Field Jacket definitely covers versatility now. It's like they took the Jawbreaker and split it in to two successors.

They should be interesting from an actual use application. The EV Zero had a strong showing in the first UCI mountain bike race for this season despite all the new stuff coming out.

Gooalert reminds me of Zeke Upshaw, who pretty much died on court during an NBA G League game. Stuff like that is rough when you pay attention to the fact that they died on the job, and perhaps their passion at the same time. I'm sure I speak for most cyclists when I say there are times when we indulge in a "no holds barred" moment. I'm sure pros have that more times than they'd like because it's their job, and to us it's probably a thrill seeking thing. Either that, or we've all overdone something at least once in our lives.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else put in an order for either new pair. Site says estimated delivery (not estimated shipping) on 4/17, current progress is saying 4/11. Won't count on the latter, but would be cool to see it here Wednesday.

Gooalert reminds me of Zeke Upshaw, who pretty much died on court during an NBA G League game. Stuff like that is rough when you pay attention to the fact that they died on the job, and perhaps their passion at the same time. I'm sure I speak for most cyclists when I say there are times when we indulge in a "no holds barred" moment. I'm sure pros have that more times than they'd like because it's their job, and to us it's probably a thrill seeking thing. Either that, or we've all overdone something at least once in our lives.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else put in an order for either new pair. Site says estimated delivery (not estimated shipping) on 4/17, current progress is saying 4/11. Won't count on the latter, but would be cool to see it here Wednesday.
I'm waiting to get hands on and see what user feedback is before getting a pair. It seems most of their stock is scheduled to be available on Tax Day, coincidentally. o_O

Back