• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flying Tigers Gascan Repair

testcodes

Oakley Beginner
I just bought a pair of Flying Tiger Gascans from ebay. They are in very good shape, not a single scratch as far as I can tell. The only problem I have is that the earstems feels loose when in the open position, compared to my 2 year old Gascan which I got brand new.

Is this an easy fix? Or if I send it for repairs, any ideas how much that would cost?

Thanks

Bonus Question: Anyone know if the lenses on these are polarized? It does not have the etching on it, bit I'm not sure if they even do etching for special edition stuff.

My first pair was a Gascan and I didn't take such good care of it... tossing it around and removing/replacing the stems and whatnot to prove how "indestructible" Oakleys are...

I have it in the back of my drawer, it still works but the stems are definitely loose from playing around with them too much. The hinges can get worn.

I suspect you bought an old frame which had the lenses replaced with newer ones.

My first pair was a Gascan and I didn't take such good care of it... tossing it around and removing/replacing the stems and whatnot to prove how "indestructible" Oakleys are...

I have it in the back of my drawer, it still works but the stems are definitely loose from playing around with them too much. The hinges can get worn.

I suspect you bought an old frame which had the lenses replaced with newer ones.

that is very much possible. This got me thinking though, does anyone know if the Flying Tigers set have a special etching on the lenses? Like how Infinite Heroes has that cross, and the Ferrarri ones have the Ferrarri icon? The ones I bought does not have any etching at all

You could take of the stem and clean it. as far as the other question ...

Thanks for the vid, I'll check that out when I get home. As for cleaning the stem, unfortunately I don't think that would help much. If there was some gunk in there or something, the hinges I assume should feel sticky or rough and have more resistance when opening or closing. My problem is the lack of resistance when opening.

Some frames like that just come off the line loose. I think its the bigger hinged pairs.

But not all Gascans though, right? I have a pair that I bought myself 2 years ago and the stem hinges are still plenty stiff and locks very well in place.

I have brand new in box gascans that feel that way. Actually one of my David Flores pairs. Which hasnt even been on a face.

I have brand new in box gascans that feel that way. Actually one of my David Flores pairs. Which hasnt even been on a face.

thanks, that makes me feel a little bit better. seller said they were rarely worn, now at least you're that it is possible for a bnib or a rarely worn pair to be like this.

just to confirm we're having the same issue, on mine, if I open up the arms and hold it side ways, it folds back down. on my older gascan, if I open up the arms and hold the sunglasses sideways, the arm stays locked in place, parallel to the ground.

correct. its not wallowed out with vertical movement, the hinge just easily folds in by itself.

This is really bothering me, you guys think I should just return them for a refund? Or try fixing them? (I read putting modeling glue on the "nubs" on the arms would stiffen them up)

I got them from ebay for about $130, just the glasses and bag. No pin and box. But the condition on the lenses and frame are easily 9/10.

I'm afraid that if I return them, I might not find another pair in this condition at the same price point.

But if I keep them, I might end up wrecking them if my DIY fix was bad...

I would keep them, I have a few fuel cells as well as gascans like that. Just happens sometimes. Occasionally the hinges are even to tight, it's just how they came off the line. I would keep them....