• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

FMJ Violet - possible to repaint ??

Yeah i know - would prefer to restore them to as original a state as possible. But if the print section can't be saved then I guess originality doesn't matter much anyway.
I will have a look for Marc's post - thanks..:)

you can't simply "repair" fmj. when it's peeling and blistering, it has lost adhesion to the substrate and will eventually peel entirely...there's also no "inexpensive" way to redo the process or coating.

So what are my options ??
well, nothing that will be factory appearing and inexpensive...You can paint it for relatively low costs, or cerakote, but to recreate the FMJ like that is probably more costly than the pair would be worth if it were new.

I'm not 100% certain - but it doesn't seem to be cracked through - there is no flex, which I would assume there would be.
Would you recommend carefully sanding of the paint to check if it protrudes deeper ?

That crack wraps around both sides, may not "seem" to be cracked through, however I bet its close to breaking and eventually will. You will have to remove those lenses to do anything to them and re-installing might just crack the frame. Sanding? That will just change the surface finish and may break it too. I had a pair similar to this with a crack along the top of the frame, I would not dare remove the lens as it will crack though.

That crack wraps around both sides, may not "seem" to be cracked through, however I bet its close to breaking and eventually will. You will have to remove those lenses to do anything to them and re-installing might just crack the frame. Sanding? That will just change the surface finish and may break it too. I had a pair similar to this with a crack along the top of the frame, I would not dare remove the lens as it will crack though.
Thanks - you're probably right - I'm a rookie at this.
I will just hang on to them, as they are, until I find a good frame to pop the brand new lenses into...

Thanks - you're probably right - I'm a rookie at this.
I will just hang on to them, as they are, until I find a good frame to pop the brand new lenses into...

I have seen on a couple of occasions people wanting to restore frames that have issues. Nothing wrong with that, sentimental reasons come into play and I can understand that. However the money to fix them may not be the issue, its the potential that the frame itself wont hold up in the repair process or the wearing of them down the road. My suggestion is to find a gen one minute frame that is in excellent condition and restore that one and install your lenses. They come up on eBay often and go for $50-$90 depending on color and condition. I had a pair I sold for $85, so they are out there.....

Its too bad - these have actually never been used - so i wonder how the frame
came to be in this condition...
Yeah i will keep my eyes open for another frame - thanks for your help :).

Latest Posts

Back