• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Foolproof icon removal ??

Soak the glasses/arms in hot water for 2-3 minutes. This loosens the glue that attaches the icon to the frame. Use something small (pin, needle) to gently work the tip under the icon. Some people try to put a thin piece of fabric or something else between the pry tool and the Grand to prevent damaging it. I haven't done that, but am very careful not to pry too hard on the frame, or push too hard under the icon that it could slip and scratch frame. Once tip is under icon, gently lift it with tool, or eventually you can use finger mail. Don't try to go too fast at first. Eventually it will just pop up and off. Some glue may stay on frame, some on icon, or may stay completely on one or the other.

When you go to reapply, you can try using the existing glue. Otherwise, double sided tape should do the trick. Gluing could be option, but can be messy and is hard to redo. Take should be fine anyways.

Soak the glasses/arms in hot water for 2-3 minutes. This loosens the glue that attaches the icon to the frame. Use something small (pin, needle) to gently work the tip under the icon. Some people try to put a thin piece of fabric or something else between the pry tool and the Grand to prevent damaging it. I haven't done that, but am very careful not to pry too hard on the frame, or push too hard under the icon that it could slip and scratch frame. Once tip is under icon, gently lift it with tool, or eventually you can use finger mail. Don't try to go too fast at first. Eventually it will just pop up and off. Some glue may stay on frame, some on icon, or may stay completely on one or the other.

When you go to reapply, you can try using the existing glue. Otherwise, double sided tape should do the trick. Gluing could be option, but can be messy and is hard to redo. Take should be fine anyways.
Thanks I will have a go at it :)

After soaking the arms, use a small metal pick to get under the icon and gently start to pull it up. as long as you go with good even pressure and don't just rip it up, it will slowly pull up and out with no damage.

Also note that some icons are metal molded over plastic. So when removing make sure you get all the way under the icon with a pin head or xacto blade. If not then you may pry up the molded metal portion and separate it from the plastic part.

It might seem blasphemous, but if you remove the stem and bend it directly under the icon, it just pops up. Have a buddy remove it the rest of the way. It works great with holbrooks.

I need to try this
Talking to my son the painter
When they remove letters and emblems from cars the use fishing line, they get behind it and kinda see saw back and forthj
I know thats to thick for the icons.
But what about a small piece of thread , work it under the icon and move back and forth as you lift
Ill bet it will work, After soaking in water of course.

Small diameter braided fishing line should work perfectly, after soaking. Most are coated with Teflon and will produce extremely smooth pull

Back