• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Foolproof Jawbone Thru Bolt Removal

OakleyGuru379

Professional Lens Scratcher
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Illinois
I found a way to remove Jawbone/RJ Thrubolts when the jaw is stripped and the bolt just spins. Take a Glue Dot, one of the sticky round dots used for posters, and stick it to the outside end of the bolt (the colored side). While applying pressure on the dot with your left thumb, unscrew the bolt with your right hand. Works every time. I have used this trick on stripped X metal screws as well, but that has only worked maybe 20% of the time (putting the Glue Dot on the tip of the driver). For Jawbone/RJ, it has never failed.

Old thread, but on an old Split jacket it was completely stuck and had to be drilled out. Tried the above as well. Might have been corrosion from salt exposure that caused it, the other thru bolt came out with something similar to the above method and had a bit of corrosion and salt residue. I'll see if I can sweet talk Oakley into sending me a gloss black thru bolt to replace the one I had to drill out..

Old thread, but on an old Split jacket it was completely stuck and had to be drilled out. Tried the above as well. Might have been corrosion from salt exposure that caused it, the other thru bolt came out with something similar to the above method and had a bit of corrosion and salt residue. I'll see if I can sweet talk Oakley into sending me a gloss black thru bolt to replace the one I had to drill out..

FYI , Art's Cyclery is selling OEM thru bolt sets on eBay for $5 +shipping. I just got 3 (red,green and chrome).

I'm in Norway and shipping is a bit steep... But thanks for info (I think they just had Chrome and white last time I checked)

Back