• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Found a copper man

So guys. This is the finished product of my first ever attempt at plating. There are some things I want to smooth out, they are not cleared, and actually I have already taken the plating off of most pieces. I have some ideas that I need to work out, and see what works best before I can even begin to do this for others.

First: I have to thank gs300 for giving me the idea to do this. I have done all kinds of finishes but never plated.

About doing it for others. I thought ALOT about this last night. This is my hobby. messing around with different ideas, and finishes on these is enjoyable to me. If money and pressure gets involved then the enjoyable factor goes away. I don't want that to happen. That being said, I have a full time job, a family, and am working on a second degree in college right now. I can dedicate time to doing this for others, but on a one or two at a time basis. what I think I am willing to do is start a list on this thread. Put your name and frame info on the list and as I work my way down the list I will edit it to show what I am working on. Last night GS300 mentioned 9 people that had Pm'ed him. This first 9 people will be the first to have their frames done.

About payment. I am torn on this. The work takes at least a day from start to finish, and pretty much has to be done in 3 stages.

1) Prep
2) Plating/Polishing
3) Clear Coating Protectant.

The clear has to go on almost immediately. When i woke up this morning the copper had already visibly started to patina.

YOUR ORIGINAL FINISH WILL BE REMOVED COMPLETELY FROM THE FRAME. Titanium requires this, period.

When shipping your frame to me, when the time comes, please have all rubbers and lenses removed. Less I have to keep up with!

My thoughts on what I will charge is this:
A fair trade, I collect x metals. If you have a frame that is loose, or the finish is degraded then we might can work a trade for service. My favorite frames are Romeo 2, XX, and of course Romeo1. All discussions about this will be done when I message you stating I am ready for you to send your frames to me.

My goal in this is a 2 week turn around from the time I receive the frames till the time I send them out. My Job requires me to travel. I obviously cannot do this while traveling. I will be gone most of the month of Feb, but nothing else planned afterwards.

I enjoy the people on this forum, and look forward to doing this for other members. I also believe I can Nickel plate and gold plate, but have not attempted this yet. I might be asking for volunteers to donate a frame once I get this going full scale.

The LIST is below. If you PM'ed GS300. your name will be added in the top 10 spots. If you have not PM'ed him put your info starting at the #11 spot. I'll update the first 10 when i get the info from GS300.

List of member starting after Feb 26th. ( out of town until then)

1. Dragonvoi
2. sup808
3. Pupusarocks
4. Joecool
5. OakleyFreak
6. MJLS
7.robjeff25.
8. Nicosuave
9. Tsuius
10. Hotley10

Read more: Found a copper man | Page 5 | Oakley Forum

Last edited:
I almost want to see a patina'd look too if it has the blue/green look with the copper if you took a picture of that.

Try putting them in a bag with a peeled boiled egg. That's how the watch community have been patinating bronze watches - the hydrogen sulphide given off accelerates the patination.

Latest Posts

Back