• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Found this watch, Not Oakley

Automatic watches don't wind, do they?
I know jack squat about watches. I'm playing with it again (@OakleyFrankFMJ ?) What i thought was winding it was changing the time. The second hand starts to move when I play with it. Runs a few minutes then stops. Maybe the battery needs replacing.

wear it for a couple of hours and see if it fully winds. If not, it might just need a full service, which will run $400-800. IF it's legit it will be completely worth it.

Its been sitting on my chest and is still running. I guess thats good? Cant really wear it, only half a strap lol.

I'm checking on watchuseek about it now.

Well that was a waste of time. One response saying it's fake and the thread is locked. Can't even ask the dude to elaborate. Not gonna argue it's a fake, I did find it in a box lol. Also not gonna take the word of a single person. I guess I'll try a jewelry shop and see what they say. Now to find one, this is New Orleans! aint nobody got money for that!

Well that was a waste of time. One response saying it's fake and the thread is locked. Can't even ask the dude to elaborate. Not gonna argue it's a fake, I did find it in a box lol. Also not gonna take the word of a single person. I guess I'll try a jewelry shop and see what they say. Now to find one, this is New Orleans! aint nobody got money for that!
Maybe you've taken the wrong angle in your investigation. Get it fixed and wear it. The length of time you are able to wear it before it gets stolen ought to tell you of its real or not.

Very, very fake Royal Oak. The real thing is much better made than that, but the real giveaway are the registers - they should be chronograph registers but cheap fakes substitute perpetual calendar dials instead. Which rarely work...

Very, very fake Royal Oak. The real thing is much better made than that, but the real giveaway are the registers - they should be chronograph registers but cheap fakes substitute perpetual calendar dials instead. Which rarely work...

Good call, noticing that - I once picked up a couple of cheap "Folex" Daytonas for the novelty and they're the same, with the substituted calendar dials...

I came across a watch at a yard sale. It was actually a yard full of boxes that the girl was giving away. It says Audemar Piguet Automatic. I know absolutely NOTHING about watches. I carry an iPhone! After a google search, my wife got all excited about 10-20k watches. I told her it's probably not even real. I couldn't find an exact match, some were close. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd love some input. It's a little beat up and missing half the strap, but when I wound it, it worked.

View attachment 162079 View attachment 162080 View attachment 162081
Absolutely counterfeit. You can always tell the high end-watches. If you have to ask, they are likely fake. Even though IT IS RIDICULOUS to pay the equivalent price of a really nice car for a watch (my wife won't let me wait outside the jewelry store to slap every dude wearing a $10k watch), there is a reason why they make it as a watch brand. Absolutely every detail with be "perfect" - especially on the dial. You can google videos of Swiss watch makes making high end watches and the process is complex. On the one you found, there are a lot of dial "stickers" and that would never be. I buy and sell a lot of watches and have seen many replicas, some that cost $300-$400 as a replica. They can have quartz or automatic movements, screw-down crowns - the works. At the end of the day, they are still just China knockoffs. Sorry, man. We all want the treasure at the end of the yard sale. The best I have ever accomplished was a 1920's Wittnauer 3-subdial Chrono with cobalt blue hands. It was sweet, but still only fetched me $300. Not bad, since I paid $1.

Automatic watches don't wind, do they?
Automatic watches are also mechanical. They just have a winding rotor with a pendulum to wind it also. Usually, you need to have almost a full wind on a watch before merely wearing it to wind it. Depending on the movement and age, a full wind is usually 25-125 "twist" turns for full wind. The wearing or movement just keeps it wound. When not wearing them, they need to be on a watch winder to keep them wound. I hope that helps!

Back