• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frame adjustment for 2012 Twenty's

toddistodd

Oakley Beginner
Hey folks-

Im new here and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.
Last week I ordered a pair of 2012 Twenty's directly from Oakley. I like them a lot but the frames are just a little too big on me. At least they look a little too big.
What I am trying to find out is if there is anyway that the frames can be "squeezed in" a little bit at the temples. I contacted Oakley customer service and they advised not to do anything to the frame because it would void the warranty (which I totally expected, no problem there). I have read and seen the mods people have made and I am trying to find out if there is a way to do this without permanently damaging the frame or lenses.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how the hinge on the Twenty is set up, but you may be able to add a small foam spacer to the inside of the hinge so that the arms are not allowed to open as wide. This will tighten the fit, but it won't made the glasses narrower at the temples.

This method is used for Gascans, but on those the frame sticks out pas the hinge.

Voiding your warranty:
Remove the rubbers.
Heat your arms with a blow drier up (don't go to close) and bend them slightly.
Then hold them in place until they are cool.
You get the best result, when you bend the arms over a rounded object lying on your table.
It also ensures that both sides have the same angle.

Did that with some older arms and it worked well, even FMJ.

Thanks.
I might try that thing with the hairdryer. Heat was one of the things that I thought of but Im not very familiar with the frame material.
Its not really the arms that need adjusting, its the temple. Would it be worth trying to heat up the bridge and curve the temples inward a little? I'm not talking much, maybe an eigth of an inch or so.
If I tried this and was successful the thing that concerns me is that the lenses may not sit in the frame correctly or that I might warp the lenses with the heating. I guess I could take the lenses out first. Is that easy to do?
Sorry if I seem ignorant. Im new at this.

I wouldn't do that, because the nose bridge is the strongest part of the frame.
3mm is a lot.

Removing the lenses:
Hold the frame and pull the upper side of the frame apart, then press the lens from the inside.
Press close to the nose bridge an they should pop out.

Back