• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frame Recommendation

o8b

Oakley Beginner
Hi,

First off, if this is the wrong place to post this, feel free to delete or move this thread to the correct forum. I'd like to get a new pair soon, and I was hoping some members here could point me in the right direction, given my experience with the following frames:

Eye Jacket Gen 1: These were pretty much perfect -- great coverage, and really comfortable. I'd still wear them today, but one of the earstems snapped one day after many, many years of use.

Half Jacket XLJ: Probably my least favorite pair, mostly because I think the coverage is really bad.

Monster Dog: I like this frame, though I find that I get a headache if I wear them for more than an hour or so, and for whatever reason, they don't sit low enough on my face, so the coverage below my eyes is lacking.

Fuel Cell: I got these a few months ago, and they're REALLY comfortable, both to wear, and to look through most of the time (Jade Iridium is great!). The coverage is great, and they don't give me a headache. However, my big issue with these is that sunlight seems to reflect off the inside of the lenses somehow. For example, if the sun is directly above me, I'll get a little bit of glare off the inside of the lenses. This is kind of annoying, but the deal-breaker is when the sun is directly behind me, in which case the reflection is blinding.

I'm mostly concerned about the reflection issue with the Fuel Cell, and I'd like to avoid that in a new frame if at all possible. I've never experienced that with any other pair of glasses before, and it basically makes them unwearable around sundown if I'm facing away from the sun. Has anyone experienced anything like that before? I've never purchased Oakleys in a store before (always online from Oakley.com, except for the Eye Jackets, but that was a LONG time ago), so if I were to go to an O-Store, would they let me try them on outside and test for this? I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yeah actually I was thinking either Racing Jackets or Split Jackets (not sure if I'd like the venting in the RJ lenses) would be my first choice in terms of fit and coverage. I'm going to try them both on when I go to the O-Store next month, thanks for the advice.

Ive noticed I see a streak of light usually on the left eye with some fuels. Thought it was just me but guess not. These are on frames with perfect lenses and I've noticed it only on the fuel cells. Weird.

Racing Jackets are probably good i prefer the fit of them over my fuel cells, to address the venting issue you think you may have you can get a pair of jawbones off ebay that are non vented and still use the same parts (Lenses,Jaws,Bolts) as the racing jackets minus the interchangeable icons.

Ok guys, thanks for the suggestions and feedback. It's sounding like Racing Jackets could be the pair for me, and I'll also check out eBay to get an idea of the availability of Jawbones and Jawbone spare parts. Android Bill, it's interesting to hear that someone else might be having this problem with their FCs, good to know it's not just me.

If Eye Jackets, Monster Dogs, and Fuel Cells fit you, then Split Jackets would probably suit you better than Racing.

RJs might be too big for you. Splits suit medium faces better - which it sounds like you have.

Sounds good, I'll also try on the Split Jackets. Thanks for the recommendation!

Go check out the Style Switch as well. I tried them on and they fit me a little better than the Fuel Cell (Cell being a bit big) it might get rid of the glare you don't like.

Back