• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frames That Have A Story To Tell

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
Anyone have any pairs that have particular sentimental value or represent certain things in your life?

Here are mine:

DSC_0002-1.jpg

First pair of Oakleys I ever bought. Previously I was wearing a Killer Loop Rumble. I kept this pair around even though our first cat, Azrael, rest his soul, decided one day to chew on the lenses.

I could never bring myself to chuck this pair as it's a constant reminder that these are just things. I'd trade it any day to have our pet back who passed away far too early at 4 years old. When he passed away it did quite a number on my wife. She loved the little guy.

DSC_0018-2.jpg

First pair of X-Metals. Ten years ago I took my wife on her first trip to Hawaii. While we were strolling down Waikiki one night, we stopped by a store and I saw these and immediately fell in love with them but the sticker shock made me shy away. My wife saw how smitten I was and said if they made me that happy, any price would be worth it.

I recently finished off the set with a Hawaii exclusive microbag thanks to Uluahunter. The green rubber set cost me an arm and a leg but it simply had to be done to complete the look. The DGMods gaskets finished the look.

DSC_0003-2.jpg

My wife and I went to Tokyo for our honeymoon and when we took the JR Line one day, I noticed the route map in one of the stations. I immediately took a pic of it and thought to myself "That would make one HELLUVA great print on something."

Fast forward to winter when I was about to head up to the mountains to go snowboarding when I just happen to find this while on a search for new goggles. There was no way I was going to be denied this. Everytime I go snowboarding or just simply look at the frame and microbag, I'm transported back to the wonderful time we had in Tokyo.

DSC_0004.jpg

My wife bought this pair for me as a Daddy gift when our son was born last April. Before he was born, we took a trip up to NYC to celebrate our last days together as non-parents and had a wonderful time. The NYC exclusive microbag, which just came in the mail, will be a constant reminder of that. The glasses themselves will be a great keepsake to remind me of the joy I had when I met my son for the first time.

I plan on getting some Slate Iridiums cut for the frame and have my son's birthday etched on the corner to finish the set.

DSC_0024.jpg

This pair represents the six years that I lived in Beijing from 1991-1997. I left the comfortable life in California and transplanted to one of uncertainty in Red China. This was when I was still in middle school so I pretty much lived there from middle school until high school when I graduated and came back to the US.

Those six years were pretty defining for my life. To go from a life where everything was available and taken for granted to a life where nothing you wanted was within arm's reach was a definite eye opener. This was well before China opened it's doors and the economy boomed. We're talking no McDonald's, no malls, nothing. This pair is a constant reminder for me to never take stuff for granted and to appreciate the things that are readily available.

I also met the girl who would eventually be my wife during my time in Beijing. We both went to the International School of Beijing which started a long history of being friends in school to dating in college to married post college.

DSC_0023.jpg

This one is just two of my favorite things coming together. Transformers and Oakley. It's awesome when worlds collide.

Apologies for the long post! But I do hope there are those of you who have frames with a story to tell! I myself still need something to represent the time I spent in Vegas for college! :D

Thats cool man! I would have to say that my carbon Juliets are the only pair with sentimental value, because my girlfriend bought them for me last Christmas.

When I was on a trip in high school I borrowed a pair of Four S from a friend on the trip and wore them through Bavaria, Switzerland, and France.

It was the first pair of Oakleys I wore, and it's taken me until this year to track down another pair. Polished black with Fire.

They're hopelessly useless, too small and lets in tons of light around the sides. But I probably wouldn't let these go before most others in the collection for the reminder of that high school trip.
RedSpecs.jpg

When I was on a trip in high school I borrowed a pair of Four S from a friend on the trip and wore them through Bavaria, Switzerland, and France.

It was the first pair of Oakleys I wore, and it's taken me until this year to track down another pair. Polished black with Fire.

They're hopelessly useless, too small and lets in tons of light around the sides. But I probably wouldn't let these go before most others in the collection for the reminder of that high school trip.
RedSpecs.jpg
That was you in HS?! The beard was already flowing then? Impressive! LOL

I forgot to mention what inspired me to start a thread like this.

There's a LOT of military personnel around the DC Metro area for obvious reasons so it's not unusual to see off duty personnel at the stores.

I was at the Vault one day and there was a serviceman there talking to one of the employees. He wanted a replacement lens for his old frame and the employee mentioned that he could upgrade his frame to a newer version for 25% off.

The serviceman said he would on any other frame but this one frame saved his eyes in Iraq so he would NEVER part with it.

So that got me thinking about frames that held value beyond collecting and that's why I'll probably never sell those ones I listed above. Those are just too dear to me to let go.

I wish I had a picture but there is a guy that comes into my store quite often and he has a pair of SI radars that he was issued while ob tour Iraq, and while he was on patrol, he hit an IED and now is in a wheelchair. The other day he came in to get a new lens for them, and lets just say, they were pretty messed up. I will try and get a picture of them sometime, but he has a story to go with his glasses, but I wouldn't call it a good one.

That was you in HS?! The beard was already flowing then? Impressive! LOL
Yes. 2003/2004 or so.

The serviceman said he would on any other frame but this one frame saved his eyes in Iraq so he would NEVER part with it.
My original M Frame (the first one I got, an SI array) have saved my eyes a few times I think. They've been used as safety glasses for shooting and sports and taken a few hits over the years. Part of what made me love the M Frame so much.

I don't have a story quite that impressive, but I picked these up on another forum
u6a6ypyh.jpg

I bought them cuz they weren't super expensive and I thought they looked awesome. When I got them I got to looking at other pairs, searched the sku and saw that BAPD was looking all over the Internet. That led me to o-review and here so I joined. I guess the rest is history but I'd never sell these. This pair brought me here to meet all the great people and started my collection.

Latest Posts

Back