• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frogskins Cheap?

zwc0442

El Zach
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Sunny San Diego
I recently picked up my first pair of frogskins and my first impression was besides how nice the lenses are the frames feel like a $5 pair of glasses you would find at a gas station. Just flimsy and cheap. The first pair of Oakley's I bought were a pair of polished Juliets and I wore those for about 3 years and got another pair of Juliets. For the better part of a decade I have only worn x-metals and a pair of Oil Rigs once and awhile. And for the price the Oil Rigs feel much better built than the frogs. Now I only paid $35 for the frogs but the retail price was $120 or so and for that they seem way overpriced for the quality of the frames. Does anyone else feel this way about them or have I just been spoiled by wearing the x-metals all this time?

Never worn a pair of frogs but I tend to lean the way you do and completly understand what your saying. I tend to agree about a cheap "feel". I started with half jackets and when I purchased a pair of Juliets my $110 pair of half jackets felt like they would float away. But since they were my first pair, I still value them above almost any other pair. But value is in the eye of the beholder as they say...

I picked up a pair (not to buy just was looking) and I thought they felt very odd not like the other 3 pairs I have. I agree they feel really cheep.

guys, you need to adjust your expectations slightly. if you're making a jump from x-metals to frogskins, there is clearly going to be a major difference in how they feel. that being said, some of them feel cheaper than others in my opinion - a pair of LX's feel really sturdy and expensive - in fact, some people don't like them because they find them TOO heavy when made from acetate. That being said, my deuce coupe frogs feel more expensive than my aquatique frogs, and none of them feel quite as good (besides the LX) as my 1st generation frogs.

you have to understand that you're paying more for the style and shape than the frame itself - they are o-matter, same as gascans or oil rigs, but because they don't have those thick arms and chunky orbitals, clearly they are going to be lighter overall. i don't think they feel any cheaper or any lower quality than holbrooks, garage rocks or any other o-matter frame. you can't compare them to a pai of Juliets..it's not even fair.

I believe the durability of the frames is up there with any other O Matter pair. The arms are designed to be able to be removed and exchanged easily and that also makes them so they don't stay stiff like the other O Matter pairs do.

I understand it's not fair comparing frogskins to juliets and thats not really what I was trying to they just don't seem like a $100 plus pair of sunglasses to me. The lenses are great as all Oakley lenses are its just the frame feels like something I would expect to get in the $40-$50 price range. Guess I'm probably just used to full metal type frames. Anyway maybe they'll grow on me after awhile.

Though i collect xmetals, but frogskin gets more face-time. Light & comfy

In addition the way the hinges work on the frogskins you can literally sit on them by accident (I hear the gasp coming from the crowd, i know some of us will have nightmares tonight, I apologize in advance) and the hinges usually just pop off and don't break. Then you just have to pop them back in. I see what your saying though, because of the style their isn't a lot to them and with the o matter material it sometimes doesn't even feel like much is on your face, hence maybe the 'cheap' feel. This is half the advantage of frogs though IMHO, besides the style. Like others have said obviously if your used to x-metals it's an entirely different feel, it's like comparing a cotton t-shirt to a Kevlar vest! In the end all the optics are the same, so it just comes down to your personal taste. To each his own!

Back