• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frogskins Sharks

So, as far as I'm concerned my philosophy has always been that a seller can charge whatever they like and if someone decides to pay that price then that person has deemed that product to be worth that value, so you can't complain about it.

However, that philosophy has been very tested today when I saw on eBay a pair of Kicks Lab Frogskins (which for those that don't know are just Smog Text Frogskins with the store name etched in to the lens) with an asking price of $1,200. $1,200!!!!!! I can get BKRW's and Oki-Ni's for less than that, limited editions that actually look different to standard Frogskins. It's insane, it's starting to get very stupid.

I see this thread of high prices dying soon. Too many lame Frogs flooding the market with nothing but a name and no real original colour way or anything.

i totally with all of you guys. i hate looking around for pairs i want but they are sitting at $550 or $750! that is so crazy, i mean yes people pay that price and thats what kills us guys who are looking for the cool pairs they want for there collection but cant afford them. i dont get the whole sky rocketing prices up and then making the guy who actually wants them pay top dollar for something they probly bought for 150.

Very well said hkwinger. Those who are in this for long terms speculation will be left holding the bag. Lost of $ will be no doubt lost when everyone wises up and will no longer pay the unjustifiable prices. Buy because you like the product not because you stand me make a a few quick bucks. It is a shame that there are so many speculators holding cool pairs hostage because of their high prices. That is the true ****ty thing about speculation. It keeps the products out of the hands of those who would really enjoy it.

I agree that if people keep treating these things like "investments", it will kill their collect-ability. I say, if it means something to you, buy it. If you are doing it just to have a rare piece, or so you can show off, or think that you will make money, skip it. I actually shop at Blends and know the guy who helped design them with Oakley. Funny thing is that no one at Blends even kept their pairs. They sold them when they got high. I would bet that the current owners of Blends frogs have never been, or don't even know what that shop is about. Bottom line is, please don't turn these things into beanie babies. Remember, Oakley can print however many they want to, as they have no serial numbers on them. Back in the day they cost $40, and the design does not seem to have changed. I own 9 pairs of frogs, all having some sort of meaning to me other than dollar signs.

Im sure Blends had another colourway handed out at a store opening. Well, I know they did. But it is lame. Matt White/Grey

As someone that is currently selling some of his rare Froggies let me explain my predicament...

I only got into collecting Frogskins about a year ago (bad timing) as I have always been a X Metal and Artist Series guy and as with most of my collecting habits I jumped in full force and spent A LOT of money on rares and not a ton on the new stuff unless extremely limited. Well the "Sharks" as you call them took a bite out of me, but I chose to buy them and have been extremely happy with almost every purchase regardless of the price I paid. I understand I am not a casual collector and typically dont have to save to buy what I want, im lucky in that regard but the fact is that I paid what I was comfortable with and never looked back. I have recently started selling a lot of the Frogs because I don't wear them and have found a better use for the money in the near future, I have openly posted on this forum that if you are interested in any of them to PM me here after looking at my store www.FearGearGarage.com and I will let you know the best price I can do on them because you are collectors, I can appreciate that and would rather have them go to a collector than a reseller in Asia. I try to keep my prices within $100 of what I paid for the glasses just to cover fees and shipping in most cases, so after all is said and done I have maybe MAYBE made $50 on the glasses. I know this is just my scenario, but I feel that if I really want something I pay the piper and hope not to get eaten by the sharks in the end if I decide to sell....

Fellow collectors: I will do what I can on my prices for you if there is a interest on your part please PM me here with your offer, but please dont be a "shark" and offer me original retail price on something you know I probably paid more for, it wastes both of our time....

The Frogskin market is the most retarded thing I've ever seen. $500 for something that retailed at < $100? Only idiots would buy them.

I stopped collecting them because it's a vultures market.

Back