• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frogskins Valentino Rossi: fake or legit ?

Harold of the rocks

Oakley Enthusiast
What do you guys think about these Frogskins VR46? Are they fake or not?

I've got doubts, because they feel a little bit thinner than my old crystal black/red iridiums.
Also they miss the star on the inner right side, but I learned that this star is not to be found on
all frogskins?

I took some detail pictures of both to compare!

The bag says Made in China, but that's what a couple of bags bought from an official store also do.
I even have got one which is made in Malaysia!

The box seems quite ok to me.
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG

Could you help?

Anyway, these VR46 feel a little bit fragile compared to my 1st gen Frogskins.
Do you think that there's a difference in quality depending on where you order?
Would there be a difference when ordering at oakley.com directly instead of going to a luxottica retailer?

All generation 3 frogskins should be the same but I suppose a varrience in density of the plastic is possible. I thought it might have been that you had a pair of gen 2 and were comparing them to a Gen 3 but I see they are both Gen 3 in the photo. . I'm not sure why there would be a difference. Mine all feel the same. Production tolerances perhaps I'm not sure.

All generation 3 frogskins should be the same but I suppose a varrience in density of the plastic is possible. I thought it might have been that you had a pair of gen 2 and were comparing them to a Gen 3 but I see they are both Gen 3 in the photo. . I'm not sure why there would be a difference. Mine all feel the same. Production tolerances perhaps I'm not sure.

All right, thanks for the detailed explanation.
Wow, you're an expert and hence totally right, the crystal frogskins is a gen 2, I only replaced the arms because one of the holes near the hinge broke,
this is why it seems to be a gen 3. Sorry that I forgot to mention.
You help a lot. Great, I really appreciate!

Latest Posts

Back