• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fuel Cells, Peripheral Vision? (Motorcycle)

g_one

Oakley Beginner
Hello all,
I've been doing the research for a month or two now and I'm getting ready to buy my first pair of Oakley shades. I've reached sort of a crossroads though: The Fuel Cell is definitely my favorite model. They fit me best for sure, and if I get the Ducati model I can get the Grey Polarized lens which I think is best for my eyes. The Pit Bull model comes in second, but the Black Iridium Polarized I think may be just a little too dark.
Long story short: since the Fuel Cells only have a base curve of 6.25, I'm wondering if anyone can share experiences wearing their Fuel Cells on a motorcycle, and if the 6.25 curve and frame shape affects peripheral vision? If the Pit Bulls really are that much better for motorcycle riding, I may end up going with them.

Thanks!

Welcome on board.

Bear in mind that the type of glasses that you may use for motorcycle riding will greatly depend on the type of helmet that you use.
If you use a full face helmet, the polarized lenses in conjunction with the visor will cause undesired glares, also you will not be able to use glasses with big orbitals (batwolf, big taco, etc...) . Fuel cells are designed to fit medium to big sized noggings, so maybe woul be better to wait for advise of some forum member which may have tried them while riding.

Thanks for the response! I've definitely got a big head, and I was able to try them on in the Oakley store. I'm in Wisconsin and I ride a cruiser so I hardly ever wear a helmet (only if something comes up that I have to ride in the rain)

You definitely want flat stems that fit as close as possible for the potential for helmet interface. But if you're not worrying about a helmet and want TOTAL peripheral you need to look into a half frame. M Frame, Radar, Flak Jacket, Fast Jacket depending on what fits best.

Personally, I wouldn't want any encroachment. When I'm driving in a car most pairs will block part of my vision when I'm checking blind spots. I wear M Frames a lot due to this.

Thanks again. Just a followup question... in comparison to the Fuel Cell, would you guys say the Straight Jackets are bigger or smaller, or about the same size?

If you've not got short hair, any frame with unobtanium ear socks are a bad idea. Literally pull your hair out when you take them off! One reason why I prefer the FC.

Fuel Cells are definitely not aerodynamic. They can move around due to all the wind and possibly blow off your head.

If shopping for new, I would go for Racing Jackets, Radarlocks, or Wind Jackets. If you don't mind pre-owned, get a pair of Water Jackets with polarized lenses. At speed they will be GLUED to your head.

I use the Fuel Cells and Gascans for bike riding both with a full face and with a "novelty" Non DOT helmet, they both work well.
Tim

Latest Posts

Back