• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I didn't call them, just sent them an e-mail using the contact form on their website.
I got the same answer via email a couple days ago but @ajirbl mentioned that he was able to get base 8 lenses when he called them. I've never found a number to call them at, I'd like to get a couple pairs of lenses before they run out if possible.

Yet another follow up to this. I contacted them again, this time through ebay. While emails from their website staff claimed they don't offer any base 8 lenses for the XX the ebay support person I messaged back and forth confirmed (more or less) the list of colors with the proper base curve for the XX. The list I was given was:

Silver Chrome
Yellow Fusion
Ice Blue Mirror
Metallic Blaze (red/ orange)
Solar Orange
Sapphire Green
Cosmic Purple

None of these lenses are polarized but I wasn't looking for that anyway so no issues there. I also asked if they would offer the 30% off discount code I had for their website if I purchased via a paypal invoice and they agreed. I've got a set of the Silver Chrome and Ice Blue headed my way, should be here next week.

$39.19 total for both sets of lenses with free shipping.

Were none of the options in Polar? Just for kicks I purchased a Metallic Blaze Polars for my Juliets which I installed yesterday. They actually look pretty good and I don't have any issues with clarity, but they are base 6.

Were none of the options in Polar? Just for kicks I purchased a Metallic Blaze Polars for my Juliets which I installed yesterday. They actually look pretty good and I don't have any issues with clarity, but they are base 6.
I was told all their polarized lenses are base 6.

But no one has answered the question of what difference does the curve makes, what are the trade-offs of having a curve 6 lens?

But no one has answered the question of what difference does the curve makes, what are the trade-offs of having a curve 6 lens?
There is basically no difference other than what your frame was made to hold. Even Oakley uses base 6 for a lot of their lifestyle frames (Frogskins, Holbrooks, many others). The tech that Oakley lenses use can be applied with either curve, but a flat front pair like Frogskins would look goofy with a sharper curved base 8 lens.

The main reasons I look for the proper curve are- Proper fitment in the frame. Using flatter lenses than stock often causes the lens to be closer to your eyelashes which is annoying, and if the lenses aren't cut and tapered properly they can also begin to stretch or warp O-Matter frames over time, or just not fit properly in the orbitals on X-metals. The other reason is that Oakley lenses are "optically centered" for the frames they go into, meaning if you cut base 6 lenses for a base 8 frame you in theory get a less optically pure view through them than Oakley intended. This is less true with aftermarket lenses that legally can't mimic the technology that is used in Oakley lenses but with this particular brand the lenses seem to be very good quality, similar to Oakley with the naked eye.

Once my lenses arrive I'm going to look into having them tested similarly to how @InfiniteHero has tested lenses in the past to see just how good or bad they really are. Strangely enough it seems that Fuse has shipped my order to Arizona instead of Arkansas, so once I get that worked out with them I may end up with 2 extra sets depending on if the postal service correctly routes my original order to my home or sends it back to them. If I get extra sets I'll find someone to ship them to for testing for sure.

Just ordered a bunch more. 4 romeo lenses, ice blue xx, and 3 for my Juliet's. I've been told that there going to start making them with the suitable curve for each frame which should alleviate some confusion going forward.

Got my lenses today and neither set fits. The curve is correct however the edges are not beveled the same way as my stock lenses are, making them too thick to seat in the orbitals properly. I emailed them to see what they want to do about it. This is a 2nd gen TiO2 XX.

Back