• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Future is competing with Nike?

Oakleykid69

Oakley Expert
So I was speaking with a couple managers at Oakley the other day and the word is that Luxotica is taking full control now and pushing the brand toward clothing to compete with Nike. I heard that they brought on an individual from Nike to revamp the clothing brand but the way they were talking made it sound as if they were going to focus on clothing more than eyewear. I am hoping this is incorrect but who knows, I just don't see how you would want to take a company known for eyewear and muck it up with a shift to more clothing. In my opinion I would like Jim to take his company back rather than seeing it bastardized by Luxotica, sorry if this offends anyone. Concerned Oakley Fanboy, haha.

But backing off on Eyewear, I forgot to mention they said having no eyewear walls, no eyewear displays, just spots on the walls with clothing around them. Don't get me wrong Oakley has some good clothing and I suppose we shall wait and see what happens.

Can't see that happening. They've gotten rid of so much apparel, golf, and did away with footwear. Luxx only has experience in the sunglass industry so I think that would be the focus. It does look like the prescription side of the business seems to have more cutting edge designs and will be a bulk of Oakleys business moving forward.

Not really news. They've been chasing the Nike pot of gold for years and they want more of the sports apparel pie. They made big moves when they brought on Raphael Peck (from Under Armor) for a few years as VP of AFA. They won't be giving up eyewear for apparel. They in fact want both.

Not surprised, just walk into any Oakley or vault and more then half the store is their clothing line. The employees know more about their clothing line then the sunglasses.

Back