• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Future is competing with Nike?

Most people buy 1 pair of sunglasses. Or none, since they're generally more expensive than a lot of brands.

But those same people don't blink an eye spending $80 on a tech polo or $50 on a wicking base layer. And get several of each. And a dozen other shirts. And socks. And shorts. And pants. And multiples of each.

And textiles have higher profit margins than eyewear.

There will be no letting off the gas on eyewear whatsoever. There will just be more investment made in AFA, with a focus on tuning it into very brand right products that kick ass.

Considering how much of a fad training clothing has become, Lux is simply being smart. All those douches buying the white O pairs already, are probably gonna stock up on clothes to pass as "athletic" on their dating profiles.

Bottom line is as long as the eyewear quality doesn't dip, zero problems for me.

Well from what I was told the new person from Nike came in and scrapped the whole line of new clothing that was to come out this year and is revamping it all. I don't want to see a bunch of douchie slogan shirts. I hope they bring it back to the standard that it once was, I have seen boots, backpacks, and clothing all drop in quality and that's not Oakley's style, they are supposed to be the best of the best.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard from a sales rep that "we've hired someone from Nike" .... or the FAVORITE one is any swimwear company that says "we've brought on one of the designers from Roxy swimwear" - congrats, they have 150 designers. Although there will always be changes, Lux has very little experience with apparel and isn't built for it. Oakley has a little niche in clothing and has made some great strides in outerwear. I don't see it changing significantly. Spring 2016 looks no different than anything that's come before it.

We've been focused on building a very solid team in AFA to help elevate that part of the buisness to the level of eyewear. We have people from other big name players, as they have also snagged people from us. It's just how that industry works. However, we've been intentional about bringing in people who not only excel at what they do, but also have a genuine passion for Oakley and being brand-right. Everyone on the team cares deeply about making the best possible products we can. Really great stuff to come from AFA...

I've always loved the Oakley footwear range, well until the similar Brazil editions. I do love the apparel range, mostly anything with the Ellipse logo because that's what Oakley logo well known for, not the square O etc.
While i would love for the footwear/shoes to come back, i can't see Oakley doing that.

If they are going to focus on apparel and technical wear like golf-specific clothing and UA-style training clothing, I'll buy it (at the outlet of course). I have no brand allegiance to UA or Nike or Oakley when it comes to that kind of stuff so I might as well go Oakley and keep a good thing going.

I was at the UT co-op yesterday. Aside from all the cheap stuff (including sunglasses) for cash-strapped college students, they had quite a bit of licensed apparel from brand names.

A whole section of Ralph Lauren. Lots of Nike, including a locked display of "premium" sunglasses, $100 - $150. Some Columbia and UA. Backpacks were mostly cheap Jansport, with some "premium" ones from UA and Ogio.

In the entire co-op, not a speck of Oakley, beyond what I had on me (Juliets, wallet, sliders).

If they are looking to expand their apparel and compete more with Nike, they really need to get into the University-licensed products. That stuff is a cash cow...

Latest Posts

Back