• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Future is competing with Nike?

To me, the Catalyst is another riff on the Frogskin style. A kinda flat fronted look that, importantly, suits both genders. Oakley keeps trying tweaks to this style, to try and keep things updated and fresh.

Some of them work and sell like hot cakes - see Holbrook.

Others don't work and fall by the wayside - see Garage Rock.

The jury is still out on the Catalyst. It's perhaps too early to tell which way it will go. Personally, I quite like them, though they don't suit me.

Interesting thread. I certainly have noticed a change in the offerings from Oakley. Maybe it is me but before there appeared to be distinct lines of products. The rugidized products like the Kitchen Sink style with metal attachments, combat apparel and not to metion the zenith of the X Metal sunglasses and watches. That was complemented with the surfing and golfware. Over time it has moved to more mainstream sports/leisurewear fashion styling.

What is my point? Well, I really liked the rugidized products. They were unique in a world of shades of gray, same old same old. They still stand out. If someone buys a Kitchen Sink backpack, which are fortunately still manufactured, it stands out and is immediately recognizable as Oakley. They should not abandon this type of styling as it will always have a following (call it The Oakley Masterpiece Line for branding or something). Then also have your standard lines which directly compete with Nike and the likes.

All the styling that is done at the moment lacks the flair and innovation of the original brand. Some of the sunglasses are nice but at the end of the day, most of it is plastic. The amount that I and others are willing to spend on old X Metal would surely be able to finance a premium line :D. Also something to aspire to!:rolleyes:

Oakley Masterpiece = Elite.

Everyone here would love that but ultimately these products need to sell. The original crazy X-metals stopped selling and was discontinued. The watch line with the HP and TT and GB didn't move all that well so they were discontinued. The Madman didn't sell so there is no follow up. If we speak to some of the higher ups at Oakley, we would see they love to make all the crazy stuff but there are not enough people out there to sustain that type of product line. If Oakley was a boutique brand that caters to a few thousand people, we'd probably get what we want.they are too big now and need to cater to the masses to not only survive but also to grow and be sustainable.

Oakley Masterpiece = Elite.

Everyone here would love that but ultimately these products need to sell. The original crazy X-metals stopped selling and was discontinued. The watch line with the HP and TT and GB didn't move all that well so they were discontinued. The Madman didn't sell so there is no follow up......

I know the Pit Boss I was branded as Elite and arguably they were the last premium sunglasses made (there has been debate over the PB2, but I would also add these as Elite as I have them all :D). Madman and Badman, quite frankly were too hyped and did not really live up to expectations (poor finishing and build). How you could actually put them into the X Metal category is another debate entirely.

I completly understand the economic arguments you raise and I am not arguing against them. My point is simply that there is room for some premium products, not masses of lines, just a few to keep the legacy alive and show their innovation. If you have a product that people drool over it attracts them to the stores and they still buy other stuff. The premium car manufacturers (Mercedes, BMW...etc) always have the super sporty or luxury version that not many can afford.

If they continue down this road it will just commoditize everything and it will overpriced and not much distinction between what others offer. If that is what they want to do, fine by me, I will look elsewhere and collect the worthwhile stuff like X Metals (they have the Oakley soul). They will still be around after the sun has gone supernova :D:p

It's going to be difficult for anyone to compete with Nike in the apparel department- whether that be functional or fashion. Under Armour has the best shot at it because of their branding with football and use of product there as well as, increasingly, their presence in the NBA notably Steph Curry and his Curry sneaker line. That's what drives the fashion dominance of Nike and has for decades. Nike is often referred to as the brand Jordan built and it's a fair assessment (and yes I'm aware of Michael's association with Oakley for a period etc...and that proves my point given how much value is assigned today to the products he was associated with then, course that would never happen today as endorsements like that for apparel, accessories etc are fairly exclusive)- and still today all the retro J's, all the Jordan apparel, the Nike apparel, all the other signature shoe lines and equivalent clothing lines all source from the aura sourced from arguably the greatest professional athlete of all time. I'm not saying Nike doesn't have good tech- I'm not saying UA and the Three Stripes don't have as good if not superior tech (though rarely) both in footwear and apparel- but NOTHING can compete with the BIRGing (basking in reflected glory) that comes with the Swoosh which, despite the separation of Jordan Brand and the Jumpman, still exists due to Jordan's imprint on that brand and the competitive "Just Do It" attitude that comes with it. And Oakley hasn't exactly been doing what they need to in order to snap up the signature athletes they need to make a push into the market like they're claiming they do- they had Rory and let Nike take him away. Bad move. And not so much because of that particular player but it shows the company doesn't think sig athletes move product or bring in loyal customers- wrong. If a founder/visionary doesn't do that, it's the sig athletes that do- people need something with which to identify. Personally, I have very few brand loyalties- but a couple ARE Nike/Jordan (I'll wear nothing else on my feet, for functional reasons but others too and one of those IS the history and legacy of the brand) and the other is Oakley- and that's waned because THAT is sourced from JJ and his Mad Scientist, all things can and will be made better attitude which Luxley/Rayley has, frankly, all but s*** on the last decade. So if Lux thinks they can somehow make such a push while cranking out what they have/are while not looking to make inroads with sig athletes, they're sadly mistaken. And again, if they they think that doesn't matter- maybe they need to look at UA's overall sales, brand visibility, worth etc BEFORE they signed Steph Curry and he became the MVP and NBA champion and AFTER- because it's night and day and that's why.

@ucdavis4PT0gpa nice essay :D. I have to defer to your better understanding of US sports and sponsoring. You are right though from what I see on the goggle box, the only thing that I see any sports person wearing from Oakley is sunglasses. If they want to compete on the sportswear they need to get it on the athletes/sportspersons and the branding splashed everywhere. It wouldn't be a bad idea to inject some of their "Purpose Beyond Reason" into the equation and get some truly innovative stuff put together.

Last edited:
Oakley is not trying to take on Nike. The company has had to get clear and aligned on what it stands for and how it can best evolve into the future. Oakley is rooted in sport performance, but sort of lost its way over time. No one can be all things to all people (not that some killer product wasn't produced!). The idea going forward is to kick ass in brand-right ways and create head-to-toe product that's more tied to performance and on-par with Oakley eyewear. There is huge potential as a brand to do a lot more, but it sometimes it takes a wake up call to figure it out. The core Design, Creative, and R&D teams are still led and primarily staffed by amazing long-time Oakley people who have as much passion as ever. There are many great things to come... keep your eyes open leading up to Rio.

Back