• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gascan S Hinge/earstem Problem

Recently I purchased a pair of Gascan S Oakleys off eBay. I lost mine after having them for about 4 years, so I was desperate =). They were in decent shape in the images, when I received them I noticed one of the earstems seemed like it was very loose, to the point where it would almost fall off when closed. After removing it I noticed that the "nub" on tge top side of the stem was worn off or broken off. I'm trying to figure out a way to fix this. I know it would be possible to build it back up for some sort of temporary fix. But... I noticed the holes in the bottom of each side of the frames where it looks like you could possibly insert a pin directly through the hinge. A small drill bit and a couple watch pins should be all I'd need... Has anyone ever done this? If anyone may have any other ideas or suggestions please let me know!
Thanks!
je7enu8e.jpg

you could try a small dab of super glue where the worn out tab was. I am thinking of doing the same thing with another gascan frame i have. wait for it to dry of course before putting it back on the orbital.

Yea that's a good idea...
What do u think about drilling through the earstem while open and in place and inserting a pin of some sort? I'm deciding on what I'm gonna do. It almost looks like it's been glued before. I'm looking for a more sure fix u know what I mean.

Yea I'll go ahead and try superglue for now.

Any idea why Oakley would put the holes in the frame? I think the regular Gascans also have these holes on each side... It's almost as if maybe they had ideas of pinning the hinges between the earstem and frame.

Yea I'll go ahead and try superglue for now.

Any idea why Oakley would put the holes in the frame? I think the regular Gascans also have these holes on each side... It's almost as if maybe they had ideas of pinning the hinges between the earstem and frame.

The holes are there to push down on the hinge to assist in releasing the stem from the frame. Most time they are not used, as anyone wanting to remove the stem usually just grasps and twists the hinge until it pops out, which could break the nub on the top of the hinge.

The holes push down on the hinge?

Sorry bud I'm just not following what your trying to say. I appreciate the help tho, from everyone! I just feel like this is a fairly common problem with a few of the O matter frames. I couldn't find any detailed conversations, or discussions about the proper way to remove the earstems... On YouTube a kid shows how to remove them on a pair of GAscan Smalls brown with text. He sure got them out... Obviously one of the the little "nubs" broke off. Cause the arm gets slung across the room later on in the video. Haha, that sucks, but don't leave the video up so others do the same. Here's the link:
. If that don't work search "oakley gas can Smalls".
I know the holes are there for a reason... I agree with u, some how they somehow assist in the removal of the stems. Possibly Some sort of tool could be inserted in the hole, to press the male earstem hinge together,to relieve pressure before the stem can be removed properly. Or possibly a tool could inserted in the hole, then by a slight twist motion, the frames may flex enough to relieve most pressure between the stem nubs and the hinge.... I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'd like to figure this out.. It would be much help to me, and I assume, many others.

"Random Hot Chick (enjoy)".
yvu5u5ez.jpg

I am not sure if this is common... I am obsessive about having sturdy tight hinges. If a pair is too slack I'll send them back. I do have one extra of these with titanium lenses. Pm if interested

Back