• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gearbox Auto Question

Medusa50

I own Oakley
East Coast
i have had the Gearbox Auto since last November. Although I do not wear it daily I noticed today that the weight on the back doesn't appear to swing smoothly. Perhaps it's just my perception as I've never really paid much attention to the underside. That is to say if you rotate the watch the weight seems to fall one way or the other and like a pendulum with a spring attached to it, it seems to stop and pivot back and forth ever so slightly as if a magnet were attracting it to one specific spot. The gear spins freely in 360 degrees of rotation and there is only a slight noise when it rotates. I've done my best to describe what's happening but I'd like to hear from those who own the watch to see if what I'm experiencing is common. As a comparison the wheel does not rotate like that of a FMJ. I also own a Timebomb and I would say it doesn't mirror that either. The watch does hold accurate time.

i have had the Gearbox Auto since last November. Although I do not wear it daily I noticed today that the weight on the back doesn't appear to swing smoothly. Perhaps it's just my perception as I've never really paid much attention to the underside. That is to say if you rotate the watch the weight seems to fall one way or the other and like a pendulum with a spring attached to it, it seems to stop and pivot back and forth ever so slightly as if a magnet were attracting it to one specific spot. The gear spins freely in 360 degrees of rotation and there is only a slight noise when it rotates. I've done my best to describe what's happening but I'd like to hear from those who own the watch to see if what I'm experiencing is common. As a comparison the wheel does not rotate like that of a FMJ. I also own a Timebomb and I would say it doesn't mirror that either. The watch does hold accurate time.
@shofzr ?

Mine does not do the magnet issue you speak of. Mine spins freely in either direction and very smooth. A lot smoother than a TB1 and very little noise unlike the TB. MAYBE @kronin323 can help you out.

Hopefully it's nothing but I would contact the warranty deportment. After this year they will no longer service any watch.

TB1 is a completely different mechanism with only a superficial resemblance, so it's not analogous.

TB2 has the same ETA 2824-2 movement as the auto gearbox so that should be a valid comparison.

FMJ has an ETA/Valjoux 7750 movement so there is a difference but I don't know if it'd be visible in how the weight swings.

I have an ETA 2824-2 movement in a non-Oakley watch and haven't really seen what you're describing.

The mainspring only has about a day's power reserve so if the weight wasn't winding it, you'd know because it'd stop running soon enough.

But is there an issue that needs service? I agree with the tagging of @shofzr; he's probably best qualified to say.

Sounds like normal for the ETA caliber 2824..

As the power builds in the mainspring the movement of the oscillating weight becomes "jerky"

Sent from my iPhone 5SE using Tapatalk

I checked all 3 of my Automatics and they all turn freely. There is a little noise but nothing unusual. If I flip it from left to right the weight will flip to the other side and rock back and forth until it centers itself but I don't believe that is what you are speaking of.

You got a video of your movement concern?

Ok let's try this. Watch how the wheel seems to roll down and almost become attracted to the six o'clock position almost as though a magnet is pulling it

Ok let's try this. Watch how the wheel seems to roll down and almost become attracted to the six o'clock position almost as though a magnet is pulling it

Looks completely normal for a 2824 with power stored in the mainspring....

Let it sit for about 40 hours until it stops... With no power in the mainspring the oscillating weight will swing very smooth...

When the power is built back up it will behave just like in the video

Sent from my iPhone 5SE using Tapatalk

Back