• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gearbox Auto Question

Very interesting. The only thing I may have done differently as of late is pull the adjustment pin when I wasn't wearing it. I never wind it more than about 10 times and typically a short rotation so it's not too tight. I will report back after I try this as it did appear peculiar. Thanks

I made two videos featuring my Swatch Body and Soul that has a ETA 2841 that I converted to 2824 Chronometer spec..sans the serial number..

The first video shows the behavior of the oscillating weight with little power in the mainspring..

The second shows the behavior of the oscillating weight with full power in the mainspring...

Sent from my iPhone 5SE using Tapatalk

Yep, it's as though it is stuck until the weight overcomes the resistance and falls one way or the other. The strangest part was when it came to rest as it gave the appearance of being pulled to its position similar to the way a magnet would swing towards the strongest part of the field attracting it. I could even hear the exact same sound in your video which was quite noticeable today when I hold the watch closer to my ear.

Yep, it's as though it is stuck until the weight overcomes the resistance and falls one way or the other. The strangest part was when it came to rest as it gave the appearance of being pulled to its position similar to the way a magnet would swing towards the strongest part of the field attracting it. I could even hear the exact same sound in your video which was quite noticeable today when I hold the watch closer to my ear.

Exactly..the oscillating weight is "stuck" in place by the two reversing wheels which it is interacting with..

Depending on which way the oscillating weight swings.. One reversing wheel will lock and transfer power to the mainspring, while the other free wheels..
When the weight swings the other way the reversing wheels switch "jobs"
When the oscillating weight is coming to rest the power from the mainspring is putting resistance on the reversing wheels, they lock and unlock quickly.. Which gives the oscillating weight that "magnetized " jitter behavior..

IMG_5817.JPG

(Pic borrowed from the web)

Sent from my iPhone 5SE using Tapatalk

I checked all 3 of my Automatics and they all turn freely. There is a little noise but nothing unusual. If I flip it from left to right the weight will flip to the other side and rock back and forth until it centers itself but I don't believe that is what you are speaking of.

You got a video of your movement concern?
I never thought of taking videos of my movement concerns. That's a good idea. :eek:

After two days the watch stopped. The movement of the wheel is now very fluid and it does not appear to stop at any point in particular. It swings freely and comes to rest gradually pulled by gravity rather than the magnetic appearing anomaly witnessed days ago. Very good thing to know about the charged state as it does affect the movement. For anyone experiencing the same thing simply let the watch discharge and then resume normal wear. Thanks to @shofzr

Back