• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gearbox issue

Dragbike425

Oakley Enthusiast
I just bought a Gearbox off C/List. Flawless condition in original box, etc. The watch was in a display case with the crown unscrewed to save the battery.
I set the time, pushed in crown until it clicks. The online manual states to push the crown and turn it clockwise, until it tightens I assume.
I can't get the crown to tighten either way I turn it.
I have Minute Machines and a Hollowpoint, so I am aware how it feels when it tightens.
Am I missing something here or do I have a broke watch?

Any help would be appreciated.

I just bought a Gearbox off C/List. Flawless condition in original box, etc. The watch was in a display case with the crown unscrewed to save the battery.
I set the time, pushed in crown until it clicks. The online manual states to push the crown and turn it clockwise, until it tightens I assume.
I can't get the crown to tighten either way I turn it.
I have Minute Machines and a Hollowpoint, so I am aware how it feels when it tightens.
Am I missing something here or do I have a broke watch?

Any help would be appreciated.
you might have a damaged crown

This is not uncommon with the gearbox crowns. The crown itself is fine, it's inside the case that fails.
the bad news is, this requires a full case replacement. It shouldn't, however the way Oakley handles is by replacing the entire case.

From experience it seems the titanium cased ones have a crown issue more than the stainless steel ones. Its the thread inside the crown that were stripped on mine. From what you are describing (OP), it sounds like the crown threads or the case threads are stripped. You can still adjust the time, and push/pull the crown for the battery saving feature, but the screw down feature is gone....

Hi guys, I have an Oakley Gearbox Titanium watch (which I love), just had the battery replaced at a good watch maker and the idiots wound the thread the wrong way trying to close the Crown and I think he has messed up the thread in the watch body, referencing the comments in the forum above. I spoke to Oakley UK and they said Oakley have withdrawn from making watches and no longer offer a repair service or warranty either. They pointed me to their UK high street watch company who they said would help with repairs. The company "In-time" said they do not repair Oakley gearbox watches. Does anyone know how I can get a replacement case? @shofzr any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have an Oakley Gearbox Titanium watch (which I love), just had the battery replaced at a good watch maker and the idiots wound the thread the wrong way trying to close the Crown and I think he has messed up the thread in the watch body, referencing the comments in the forum above. I spoke to Oakley UK and they said Oakley have withdrawn from making watches and no longer offer a repair service or warranty either. They pointed me to their UK high street watch company who they said would help with repairs. The company "In-time" said they do not repair Oakley gearbox watches. Does anyone know how I can get a replacement case? @shofzr any ideas?
I'd try sending the watch to someone in the US and them sending it to Oakley USA, they will still fix watches until 2019 if I'm correct

Good and bad news..

Good news : I don't think you need to replace the complete case.. typically the "case tube " is removable .
However, Once the threads are damaged on the crown, and or case tube it is best to replace both at the same time.

Bad news: finding replacement case tube and crown will be difficult..

Another option my be having a watchmaker re-thread the tube and crown on a lathe.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why you should just leave the crown in and tightened. I have no idea why people want to save the battery. They are cheap! It's not worth screwing in and out the crown. Just my 2 cents

Last edited: