• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gearbox Problem

1524ben

Oakley Expert
UK
My Gearbox stopped running not long ago so i replaced the battery but it hasn't started running again. Have tried a couple of different batteries in there from other running watches so i know its not a battery problem but it refuses to run.

Has anyone had any similar problems or got any ideas of anything that i could check?

My Gearbox stopped running not long ago so i replaced the battery but it hasn't started running again. Have tried a couple of different batteries in there from other running watches so i know its not a battery problem but it refuses to run.

Has anyone had any similar problems or got any ideas of anything that i could check?
You could always try sending it to Oakley for warranty repair.

Or ask @shofzr what he thinks but it's like asking a car mechanic across the country to diagnose what's wrong with your car without him being in front of it.

Thanks gents appreciate your help.

DSC_6039_1.jpg

Looks like a Ronda Caliber 715.
Common problems are
1. The coil being damaged when the sliding battery clamp hits it.
2. The insulator under the battery not being seated.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If both above check out, and you are sure the battery is good.
Make sure all the screws are snug.
Install the the battery and gently rotate the intermediate wheel. Try both directions.
With some luck it will start running

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@shofzr thanks for the advice!

checked the coil and this looks ok, insulator also looks to be seated ok.

intermediate wheel is not as accessible as in the picture above so i need to find something to use to rotate this.

also noticed that when the crown is pulled out and i adjust the time the second hand seems to skip back and forth. This doesn't happen on any of my other Gearboxes so I'm assuming something in the mechanism is sticking.

So, the current status of this Gearbox watch battery replacement is that: the insulator looks good, the battery contacts look good, the battery seating looks good, the coil looks undamaged, and yet even with a new battery the movement doesn't move at all?

Back