• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gen 1 waterjacket information?

kizune

Oakley Beginner
Hey everyone. I purchased a pair of Water Jackets when they first came out for surfing and couldn't really get used to them at the time. Fast forward almost 20 years and my aging eyes, I've taken them out of storage and I am trying to get used to them again!

The question is, where can I find replacement lenses for these Gen 1 Water Jackets? I see a few off brand sites like the sunglassfix, are these quality lenses comparable to the vr28's?

Thanks!

Hey everyone. I purchased a pair of Water Jackets when they first came out for surfing and couldn't really get used to them at the time. Fast forward almost 20 years and my aging eyes, I've taken them out of storage and I am trying to get used to them again!

The question is, where can I find replacement lenses for these Gen 1 Water Jackets? I see a few off brand sites like the sunglassfix, are these quality lenses comparable to the vr28's?

Thanks!

I use my Water Jackets for surfing but more recently started using a Heritage Eyeshade with lanyard and it work really well.

I can offer custom cut lenses too! There is a wide variety of stuff available to cut for a water jacket. I also make the head strap too. Using a QR buckle which is better than the OEM strap.

Here are my latest WJ/RJ Cuts...

wNjFuIjrRcKODymYaquiMw.jpg

u4kVse8nQXmJx+%GJbXmxQ.jpg

2zmJICq9Q5iCiwLGXHLNNw.jpg

GJTtEtNpThGar8oQutBjKQ.jpg

yklkh%9dQPiDrTTUDYxdsA.jpg

Last edited:
Wow this community is pretty active! Thanks for the replies!

As you've been using these for surfing, which lens color have you found to work best? Oakley went with the VR28's, but I often wondered if there were better choices as we're more trying to protect from the reflection off the water.

Also, I see you went with 3 vent holes on the bottom and 2 on the top corner, have you played with different amounts of vented holes to see which works best?

The Eyeshades look cool, however they look like they might be better suited for SUPing rather than surfing? I shortboard so I can't imagine duckdiving constantly with something not strapped tightly to my head...

Have you found a better antifog/waterproof solution for them? I've been using the Oakly hydrophobic solution and it works great for 1 hour, then it's gone.

Other than lenses size, was there a difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 waterjackets?

My Gen 1's also came with a lanyard that I lost, do you know anyone who makes a good replacement?

Yeah the vr28 is good but on really bright days a darker lens is best. The Eyeshade works so well because it’s quite a distance from the face so doesn’t fog up really. To be honest all pairs will come off after a heavy wipe out so an extra lanyard is a good idea.

Did you lose the cord or the head strap?

The RJ's Wavecloud is working on are for me.
I skipped the two inner vents at the top because I'm intending to wear them on the road bike. These vents would then be right in my line of sight, which is very annoying I can tell you.
I skipped the outer lower vents to make room for an inscription.:)

Yeah the vr28 is good but on really bright days a darker lens is best. The Eyeshade works so well because it’s quite a distance from the face so doesn’t fog up really. To be honest all pairs will come off after a heavy wipe out so an extra lanyard is a good idea.

Did you lose the cord or the head strap?

I like that QR strap! Good idea!

I am missing the cord... It was like a grey rope if I remember correctly. What color lenses have you been using most surfing?

Back