• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For Sale Gen 2 M Frame Blue frame/Blue lens Mumbo FS/FT

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
That's just the old Blue Iridium. It was technically a neutral tint, but either the iridium or the baking left them more amber. And the degree of which varies greatly. The new stuff, like Neil's lens, is a VR28 base with a blue iridium on top, done in a way similar to today's +Red where the mirroring isn't very strong but gives the lens a color accent.

All of the old 80's stuff was a lot different than we have now. +Red was barely a color, and had a ton of purple to it. It looked like a grey lens until the light hits it and it blows up in color - this was the purpose and why it has a name different than any other tint. There's also the less popular -Red, which I can't recall how they were different. But you've got to remember back then sunglasses with mirror coatings wasn't a staple of every brand, and colored mirror even less so. Oakley was truly breaking new ground with the bright colors. Now you see every other new member joining the forum and asking which tint hides their eyes, as if sunglasses being a bit transparent is a terrible thing.

I might still have one of the old school +Reds around here. It's a fun lens. I have a blue in Heater that's in much better shape, but that one isn't leaving.

Edit: Must have sold it, I just have a newer one.

Some people reacted to this post.
Wow! You know your Oakley info! Thanks for that essay!

So variations of tints was something that was unintentional? For instance, all of the older blue iridiums were suppose to come out as dark tint like say...a black iridium?

Or are you saying that the orangish/yellowish tint was goal for the color being neutral, but that some lenses just tend to vary from either more orangish or more yellowish?

I don't have a ton of the technical detail, but iridium base color is either time or temperature dependent during the cure process. The old lenses were much more uniform in color compared to modern lenses. The old Blue Iridium was mostly blue with a touch of green or purple toward the center or middle of the lens. Same with Orange being orange. Less control and lower standards you get Fire, which has a lot of orange, red, and yellow to it. Old Ruby was just a red lens with hints of purple, a thicker version of the +Red. As time went on the color control was loosened and we got into what the X Metal guys refer to as "Fruby" that has a lot more color variation like Fire.

The canvas of an M Frame or Blade lens makes it harder to control color. But, like I said, I don't really have the technical specifics on what colors needs what, or why they can get Ice so uniform but not other colors, or why the new lenses like Sapphire, Torch, and Prizm lenses have a lot better color control on the shield lenses (Radar et. al.)

This really isn't the place to get into it. And I've sold off a ton of my collection that had examples of this kind of stuff. But I have had Gold Iridium that looks like a shiny bronze, all the way up to a polished 24k looking lens, and a myriad more interesting items. I still have a lot of M Frame lenses, but probably close to half are black iridium, backup lenses for the long haul.

Back up top...where is that hybrid lens, gentlemen...

back up top

Who's got the Hybrid lens?

Bump back up with revised price...$125 shipped.

ttt