• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gen 2 M frame Hammer fangs, snapped stem. Any suggestions?

CraigHew

Oakley Beginner
Hello and thanks for the warm welcome.

I've just joined the forum to try and glean some potential repair / replacement stem options. I have a pair of pristine 2nd Gen M frames in carbon fibre finish that have the hammer fang style stem.

Last week in Cuba the left stem simply sheared off as I was taking my glasses off my face.

I've attached a photo showing the damaged area but don't really have a clue as to whether they are savable or not. If they weren't so nice and sentimental I'd just put them in a drawer but I feel that I want to at least try and rescue them. I spoke with Oakley UK this morning who were very sympathetic but couldn't help with a repair or a replacement stem.

So my questions: Can I locate a replacement stem (or a pair of compatible replacements if I can't get the carbon fibre style finish)?

Are there any decent repair places in the UK who could repair the stem (I'm quite dubious about this, but willing to explore things)

Hopefully I've uploaded a couple of pictures of the damage with this post to clarify what's the problem.

Any suggestions (other than buy a new pair, which is plan B) most appreciated.

oak1.jpg

oak2.jpg

I've just joined the forum to try and glean some potential repair / replacement stem options. I have a pair of pristine 2nd Gen M frames in carbon fibre finish that have the hammer fang style stem.

Last week in Cuba the left stem simply sheared off as I was taking my glasses off my face.

I've attached a photo showing the damaged area but don't really have a clue as to whether they are savable or not. If they weren't so nice and sentimental I'd just put them in a drawer but I feel that I want to at least try and rescue them. I spoke with Oakley UK this morning who were very sympathetic but couldn't help with a repair or a replacement stem.

So my questions: Can I locate a replacement stem (or a pair of compatible replacements if I can't get the carbon fibre style finish)?

Are there any decent repair places in the UK who could repair the stem (I'm quite dubious about this, but willing to explore things)

Hopefully I've uploaded a couple of pictures of the damage with this post to clarify what's the problem.

View attachment 341316

View attachment 341319
Welcome to the forum

@Rustpot would be the one to give you the suggestion and I'm sure it will be the best one. Good luck

View attachment 341316

View attachment 341319

"Hammer-fangs"! I like it!

These pairs have a reputation for breaking and/or cracking on the frames and hammerfangs. Sorry for your loss. I have no solution(other than buy a new one) but as a fellow m-frame advocate, wanted to offer my condolonces

Sorry to hear about your M Frame. It is a little unusual for it to snap right there, most snap further down. Finding a replacement is possible but may take some time and patience. Let me ask, how do you remove the frames from your face? Straight off with both hands or off to the side with one? These are made of the old O Matter material combo that over time does become brittle.

Thanks for the replies. I always remove the glasses up and over my face as to not stress the arms too much. Perhaps after a little too much rum I wasn't as careful as usual. In the last hour or so I've tracked down a UK repair site and have submitted a repair request. Just awaiting their reply.

Any suggestions as to where to look for a replacement stem, or a pair of stems assuming I cant match up the broken carbon-fibre look one?

Quick Update: After failing to find anyone willing to undertake the repair, I thought I'd have a go. Bought some M1.5 modelling screws of Ebay for £0.99 and held the glasses and broken stem in a soft jaw vice wilst I drilled into them both with a 1mm drill bit. Drilled a good 6-8 mm into each piece then with gentle force screwed an M1.5 bolt into each, creating a screw thread into the plastic. Measured and marked the depth of each thread then snipped off one M1.5 to the required overall length, removed the bolt from the stem, dipped in some epoxy resin and screwed the stem onto the frame.

Carefully ran a small bead of epoxy around the surface of the joint and left overnight.

The joint now seems very firm.

Just need to carefully remove some of the excess epoxy from the joint and that's a wrap.

A decent temporary fix (which may well prove permanent) until I can source a new stem(s).

If anyone comes across a stem, please let me know (craig.hewison@talktalk.net)

Thanks for the help and comments above.

Just took a little thought, patience and £0.99p to fix....!

Back