• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Generic Oakley Safety Sunglasses

Enders

Oakley Expert
Long Island, NY
The other day I was working with LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) and the Mechanics were wearing what looked like generic safety sunglasses except they had the "O" on the ear stems. I asked the guy if he had an extra pair or if he knew about them but he said they just have hundreds back at the shop.

Just like these except made by oakley
glasses%20wraparound.jpg

Has anyone heard of Oakley producing safety glasses for a large company?

I don't know, but if you get your hands on some I always need new safety glasses. I baby an M Frame at work and have cheap pairs for backup in my desk and in my shooting bag.

Absolutely not made by Oakley... They have safety versions of the M-Frame, with Z87.1 embossed in the frame, in matte black with yellow, clear, and permisson lenses (IIRC).

Even the Chilean miners got M-Frames.

The other day I was working with LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) and the Mechanics were wearing what looked like generic safety sunglasses except they had the "O" on the ear stems. I asked the guy if he had an extra pair or if he knew about them but he said they just have hundreds back at the shop.

Just like these except made by oakley
glasses%20wraparound.jpg

Has anyone heard of Oakley producing safety glasses for a large company?

Yes. There were two: Straight Jacket - Jet Black - Clear 12-688 (TW1007), and Straight Jacket - Jet Black - Yellow 12-689 (TW1008). These were both the original first Straight Jackets made as signature pieces for TORCH WEAR intended for use as safety glasses and sold by them for that purpose. They came in the old style black boxes without the S/J image as the others of that model had, but did have two unique blazing red colour barcode labels. The pieces were different in that the TORCH WEAR logo complete with raging grey flames replaced the Oakley Icon on the arms. They have long been sold out but I did get my own pairs direct from Torch Wear some years ago, truly unique in that Oakley has not produced another collaboration of this nature and creates an obscure angle of collectable interest.

Yes. There were two: Straight Jacket - Jet Black - Clear 12-688 (TW1007), and Straight Jacket - Jet Black - Yellow 12-689 (TW1008). These were both the original first Straight Jackets made as signature pieces for TORCH WEAR intended for use as safety glasses and sold by them for that purpose. They came in the old style black boxes without the S/J image as the others of that model had, but did have two unique blazing red colour barcode labels. The pieces were different in that the TORCH WEAR logo complete with raging grey flames replaced the Oakley Icon on the arms. They have long been sold out but I did get my own pairs direct from Torch Wear some years ago, truly unique in that Oakley has not produced another collaboration of this nature and creates an obscure angle of collectable interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back