• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Glass lenses for Oakley prescription eyeglasses?

quester

Oakley Beginner
Hello everyone, first post here, and not even sure this is an appropriate question, (also couldn't find a good answer in the archives) :

I'd really like to buy an Oakley frame to serve as my eyewear (not sunglasses, just regular eyeglasses for my near-sightedness) - but I've decided I don't want to use polycarbonate lenses anymore. For some reason I see better with glass lenses - polycarbonate just wears out too quickly in my conditions (extreme heat and dust), and perhaps what they say about the optical superiority of glass is true, at least for me.
IAC, does this mean that I can't consider buying an Oakley frame, or is there some way to have glass prescription lenses installed in an Oakley?
Thanks very much!

If You use LensCrafters or an optical shop tjey should be able to make you some glass lenses.

My pitchman r carbon has glass lenses, only difference I notice was front weight . So if you have something with some Earsocks or nose pads you might be better off than me

Thanks for the responses so far.

When I checked the LensCrafters site while trying to order an Oakley frame, they did offer their site lenses as an additional option, as opposed to Oakley "authentic" lenses (at a lower price than the Oakleys). However they did not mention "glass" as an option, only plastic, polycarbonate, and "high index". The latter probably means premium thin polycarbonate, not necessarily glass.

So I'm still stuck.

Basically what I'm asking is can I just buy myself an Oakley frame, and go to any local optician and ask him to put prescription lenses made of glass into a frame like this. Polycarbonate just wears out after about a year, in the conditions I live and work in, while glass has proven to be much more durable. This is even with all the supposed anti-scratching and similar coatings that I get with the polycarbonate.

Hello everyone, first post here, and not even sure this is an appropriate question, (also couldn't find a good answer in the archives) :

I'd really like to buy an Oakley frame to serve as my eyewear (not sunglasses, just regular eyeglasses for my near-sightedness) - but I've decided I don't want to use polycarbonate lenses anymore. For some reason I see better with glass lenses - polycarbonate just wears out too quickly in my conditions (extreme heat and dust), and perhaps what they say about the optical superiority of glass is true, at least for me.
IAC, does this mean that I can't consider buying an Oakley frame, or is there some way to have glass prescription lenses installed in an Oakley?
Thanks very much!
You can't buy an Oakley frame that has a "step bevel service". Hit up an Oakley RX dealer, and ask which do not have this service. And expect 3-6 weeks for them to be completed. Glass has many Advantages, and a few disadvantages like weight thickness and difficulty cutting.
I have the "pitch man" , its comfy and great looking
And @Markman69 both hit the mail in the head. You can use an "optical style frame" aka ophthalmic frame, and any "full rim" should work.

No rimless, no semi rimless.

You can't buy an Oakley frame that has a "step bevel service"
Well, that was illuminating! I googled "step bevel" and now I see what the problem is with respect to Oakley frames.
And indeed I am considering only full rim Oakley frames, as I realize that rimless and semi-rimless will not work for glass lenses.
Here is an interesting read about the beveling of lenses for Oakley frames that I ran across while trying to learn more about this. Especially useful if by any chance you are located in the UK.

Thanks very much @Chris A Hardaway for the comprehensive and very helpful reply.

Well, that was illuminating! I googled "step bevel" and now I see what the problem is with respect to Oakley frames.
And indeed I am considering only full rim Oakley frames, as I realize that rimless and semi-rimless will not work for glass lenses.
Here is an interesting read about the beveling of lenses for Oakley frames that I ran across while trying to learn more about this. Especially useful if by any chance you are located in the UK.

Thanks very much @Chris A Hardaway for the comprehensive and very helpful reply.
Good link, clearly explains base curve and beveling!

Latest Posts

Back