• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Glasses other than oakley?

B28B79C1-2B9E-4728-B5D5-2B9330DBA2A5.jpeg
7B90BB73-37FC-414D-BE61-9EEEB2C8F5E8.jpeg
42130944-E2C7-4810-BE2A-BB22D7DA66AF.jpeg
B7D88A71-7ABC-4271-946F-DF7A4670AE93.jpeg

Maui Jim Lava Tube. Aviator style frame with a rimless look. They are actually not rimless though. They are Super light, very thin titanium. The lenses have a groove cut into them nd the orbitals (for lack of better term) reside within the groove to give it a rimless look. I tried to get a decent pic with the last two but it’s difficult with a phone camera.

What do you think. The biggest issue I see is that they the lenses seem very flat, (I guess I’m used to that 8.75 base cure from Oakley) so a lot of light leaks in from the sides.

FAA9A908-08B5-45F5-BD96-B737BF376BED.jpeg

View attachment 505680 View attachment 505681 View attachment 505682 View attachment 505683

Maui Jim Lava Tube. Aviator style frame with a rimless look. They are actually not rimless though. They are Super light, very thin titanium. The lenses have a groove cut into them nd the orbitals (for lack of better term) reside within the groove to give it a rimless look. I tried to get a decent pic with the last two but it’s difficult with a phone camera.

What do you think. The biggest issue I see is that they the lenses seem very flat, (I guess I’m used to that 8.75 base cure from Oakley) so a lot of light leaks in from the sides.

View attachment 505684
Those things look too big. Yikes.

Quality for sure. These are Maui Brilliant lenses. They claim to be nearly as clear as glass but 1/3 the weight.

You could crush them, but they will bounce back. ;) Go try them on and see what u think.

Love the Steve McQueen 714s as you already know. Persol has a few new interesting styles I’d like to try. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of any rubber. In this intense TX heat, they slide off my face.

It’s truly an amazing frame. I love memory metal as well. Oakley could take a page from this book. I’m actually looking at getting another pair, maybe Guard Rails since they are Maui flex as well.

Also probably getting a pair of Sugar Beaches.
When I cheated it was with Maui Jim, no glasses not the man! Lol.
Eh Brah, evolution material... Predecessor to brilliant. Maui Rose lenses, bi-gradient mirror.
Love.
1532739507581716403870.jpg

My only pair of non Oakley.... Maui Jims...yrs ago, I had a flex spending account through work and it was the end of the year... I still had $500 to spend or I'd lose it... I was at my optician's office and he was a Maui Jim guy... So I spent a lil over $300 on them....super light, and Polarized... Pretty nice glasses.
ba8693a56f000e2b37694add249e9a22.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Somewhat interesting pair. When you consider you can ditch the lower bumpers, there's some vague throwback resemblance to Mumbo/Heater/generally speaking 80's shield pairs.

My Fotonyk is still solid, but I don't take it with me all too much. Can't say this is a prospect for regular wear, but on super discount, maybe.

Performance Eyewear Defender - Rudy Project

Somewhat interesting pair. When you consider you can ditch the lower bumpers, there's some vague throwback resemblance to Mumbo/Heater/generally speaking 80's shield pairs.

My Fotonyk is still solid, but I don't take it with me all too much. Can't say this is a prospect for regular wear, but on super discount, maybe.

Performance Eyewear Defender - Rudy Project

Interesting...

The Noyz and the Genetyk were my favorite Rudys. Although the Genetyks were prone to cracking the lens because of stress in the nosepiece.

I used to have several of them when our cycling team was sponsored by them several years ago.

Have Maui Jim's here as well. I admit I'm a fan of their rimless designs, so light weight and really good optics/polarization. (image taken from maui jim's website)

716-06_quarter.jpg

Before I tried any Oakleys I had a pair of Killer Loops (98/99ish) and after that a pair Ray Bans (wish I could remember the model, green glass, rounded rectangular lenses in a chrome frame with matte black plastic arms from '00-01 iirc).

Back