• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Goggles Fogging

Mervillian

Oakley Expert
I've had a pair of A frame goggles for about 8-10 years (green frames with black iridium lenses..... I think). They've been good to me until last ski season when they fogged up almost immediately and I had to switch to my backup pair.

When I inspect the lenses closely I can see a small area where the material between the two lenses has broken down (if it was a seal, the seal is now broken allowing air to flow in and out of volume between the main lens and inside lens).

Should the material between the lenses create a seal?
Is this fixable with the use of silaprene or epoxy (or should the space between lenses be a vacuum or be filled with something different than air)?
Has anyone on here tried this?

To replace the same lens is $95 canadian and the cheapest lens is $60 (plus 12% tax). If I do opt to replace the lenses (or the entire goggles), what lenses do you recommend?

Thanks.

For the dual lenses like the A-frames, the air is needed between them to keep the lens from fogging. I don't know if you can fix the seal, but if that's intact again and there are no other cracks - the goggles should work again. And I don't think anti-fog wipes or solution is a good idea, that may smudge and ruin the Anti-fog coating on the inner lens.

Some paintball goggles are the same way. I tried fixing a pair and it didn't work. Couldn't replicate the original seal. Could be different with your goggles... Just my .02.

I'd tough it out I till you can afford a new set of goggles... Yours have lasted quite while

Look into the Canadian Olympic one... An Oakley rep told me that they won't be releasing that frame colour after it's initial run!

Thanks for the replies. Might give a shot to fix them (don't really have anything to lose right), but won't hold my breath that it will work. I really do like the Canadian Olympic ones (especially the airbrake of course), but despite my love for all Oakleys, I am also a cheapskate. I currently have a few other pairs of goggles (O frames and some non Oakley) and given I don't ski as much as I used to it is hard to justify a new goggle purchase. Gotta save those funds for some new x-metals.

When skiing I use "Cat Crap" (seriously thats the name), its a gel like paste that you rub on the inside of the goggles, then wipe off! Works great!

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with a Wisdom frame goggles but since the lenses were also scratched, I bought a new pair out of a super sale at a local store.
By the way, the problem is you need air inside the two lenses in order to create a sort of natural insulation and thus prevent humidity to condensate on the inner lens due to outside lower temperature.
I can suggest (and seriously, take this as a suggestion :) ) to reseal the crack in a dry room and keep your finger crossed. You can use some Sugru or similar (i would avoid glue due to the chemical they release during curing process that coul worsten the condition of your lens).

If you decide to get new lenses hit me up... I think I have a few extras kicking around.

Or you can wait until next year and buy some "A Frame 2.0". They look basically identical but have a bit more detail around the bottom vents. The foam is a bit different on some of the 2014 releases.

Latest Posts

Back