• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Going to Pittsburgh for a couple weeks... and I'm *gasp* only taking two pairs

Since we're into winter and my back ain't doing so great, this trip out I'm scaling it down. Meaning no camera gear, no drone, no extra toys etc, no 3~4 pairs of shade, or carryon bag (just the small coach shoulder bag, and checked suitcase).

Couldn't really get myself down to just 'one', so these are the two I decided upon looking ahead at mostly a mix of overcast to mostly/partly cloudy with occasional snow predicted.
  • X-Squared Custom (white ceramic or whatever that coating is called) w/ Prizm Maritime
  • Holbrook XL Kokoro w/ Prizm Trail
The Maritime is about the same usability as either Prizm Daily Polarized (which I have in an AF Holbrook) or Prizm Tungsten Polarized (which I have in either Holbrook XL or Whiskers), but it's also the only Prizm lens I have available for the XS. It's a little cooler/neutral and can go down a little darker in my opinion when the overcast gets denser than I was comfortable with on Tungsten (shadow details become harder to see, probably due to higher contrast).

Prizm Trail is brighter and I'm fine with using it most types of days, I like it if I need to get a little more 'pop' to wake me up. It's not polarized though.

That's pretty much what I been reaching for the last couple months, Maritime, Tungsten, or Trail. Haven't touched Deep Water or Shallow Water in a while.
You got it pretty much covered. Got a right plan there.

I see you like Holbrooks, that's a nice frame for casual looks. Personally I have a pair of Holbrooks Black Steel (9201-B555) with Gray Transition Gen 8 Lenses. They match with everything and are great for tourism with cloudy/winter weather, they go darker or clearer according to natural light which is pretty useful having to go in and out of stores and visiting places. Of course, if weather changes and sun knocks on your door, u still have your top gun in your sunglasses per se, with Prizm technology and all the other features.

You got it pretty much covered. Got a right plan there.

I see you like Holbrooks, that's a nice frame for casual looks. Personally I have a pair of Holbrooks Black Steel (9201-B555) with Gray Transition Gen 8 Lenses. They match with everything and are great for tourism with cloudy/winter weather, they go darker or clearer according to natural light which is pretty useful having to go in and out of stores and visiting places. Of course, if weather changes and sun knocks on your door, u still have your top gun in your sunglasses per se, with Prizm technology and all the other features.
Far as photochromatic goes, LineGear Pink Gold is on my wish list for say either of my X-Squared.

The Holbrook XL are comfortable for me, I do have a smaller non-XL that just has prizm daily installed, but currently listed for sale. I can wear the non-XL, the XL just feels more comfortable.

Latest Posts

Back