• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gold iridium or VR28 Black iridium...which do you prefer

coolstorm92

Oakley Expert
I am looking at gold iridium non-vented or vr28 black iridium vented lenses for some matte rootbeer split jackets that I own.

I use vr28 black iridium a lot and do like it. And I have used gold iridium in a previously owned pair of romeo 1 but its been a while since I sold them and didnt use them much so dont recall the lens much.

What are everyone's thoughts on gold iridium vs vr28 black iridium?

Here is a picture of said frame with Rx vr28 black iridium polarized. The frame came with tungsten iridium which I found to be too light for most applications.

IMG_1332.jpg

I would take VR28 BI (specifically VR28 BIP) any day over Gold Iridium / Gold Iridium polar, hands down. Richer viewing colors, more versatility for changing light conditions.

But Gold Ir isn't bad, especially for less bright light conditions.

I use all four (Waterjacket w/ VR28 BI, Juliet w/ VR28 BIP, R1 w/ Gold Ir, Half-X w/ Gold Ir polar).

I'll buck the trend and opt for gold - it's a much more subtle contrast base than VR28. I don't dislike VR28 but it's an aggressive contrast - for me, the effect is a bit like a TV or monitor with oversaturated colours.

My TiO2s have gold rather than the original VR28 BI for this very reason. I do have a pair of polished/VR28 BI I wear sometimes though and a VR28 Radar lens so I'm not dead set against it!

I think gold goes better with rootbeer from a purely aesthetic perspective since I think the tones match better but gold and VR28 are both pretty versatile lenses to look through so it's really up to you whether you prefer a more rose based tint (VR28) or a more bronze based tint (gold).

Back