• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gold Plated R1

Dantes

I should Work at Oakley
Sweden
My gold plated Romeos arrived today from @InfiniteHero. The lenses are violet polars, custom cut, also by InfiniteHero. The rubbers are Linegear.

I highly recommend InfiniteHero for custom plating jobs and custom lens cuts. Always a pleasure to deal with.

What do you guys think of the result?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Whys the finish so rough on the right orbital? Is that how your frame was? (Early serial)

Early Mars and R1's alloys are different combinations than the later models. When you blast the Ti, they come out however the base alloys are. So when you go to plate something, any discrepancy is shown due to the new coat of metal on it. Its interesting, we are finding all kinds of things that show up after that weren't visible before. Unless you spend many hours on one piece getting thicker and thicker layers till its totally smooth, the metal will show discrepancy's. I have two personal Juliets, one perfectly smooth and awesome, the other shows stretch marks on the stems. Just part of the uniqueness of the Ti. The prices that are paid to do these frames are all at cost, the time it takes for one frame is many hours, more if something doesn't come out perfect. So add that up and you will find, that if you do enough the price is fair, if you only do a few, then its a low price for what you get. I experiment with outsourcing the plating process on the Ti, I was quoted $300 per frame for copper. That was with a clear coat. So, in hindsight we are making the correct move and keeping it in house and quality control in my personal hands.

This example of a Gold R1 for @Dantes went through me, then back to my employee to be redone. Thought we had a certain process corrected so sent directly to Dantes. I am very happy that it met his approval and he is happy. I think I see some things I would not have let through the process if they had come back to me for the final approval, so from here on out the Frames will only look better than this example. Minor things, not going to mention, just in the clear coat process. Our clear coat is NOT a enamel base. It is ceramic and maintain the feel, sound, and hypoallergenic qualities of the Ti, a truly unique process. Searched for months to find it. It also can be done along with colors so the properties of Ti can be kept.

Those are really nice looking for the "Royal Theme" you were going for. Hits the nail on the head. I like the idea of a gold plated Romeo, but personally would have done different color lenses and rubbers. Nothing bad to say about your choice, just me, but I would have done BIP lenses and black rubbers. I guess I'm just plain that way. All the same, very nice Romeo.