• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Good Shooting Lenses?

Carlitocarlin

Oakley Enthusiast
I'll be on an outdoor shooting range a lot this summer, and I was just wondering if there's a lens that would be good for (very) bright light that is also good for shooting?

Neutral tints, as dark as you can go. I like polarized and it doesn't mess with me, so I use black iridium polarized.

I'd also recommend anything in the VR family, or gutting it out with standard gray after your eyes adjust to the lighter tint. I detested Fire with it's off-green hues, gold doesn't work well either. I haven't used anything from the G family.

It heavily depends on the colors at play, whether you're going to be in wooded areas, light sand backdrops, black targets vs. white vs. orange, how much contrast is already present, how the range is setup (sun at your back, surroundings, etc), whether you're shooting from a covered position...

Or play it safe and stick to grey base lenses and adjust the transmission levels accordingly.

If you're using ear muffs I would suggest you look into a pair with flat and narrow earstems with no rubber, or remove the rubber from what you're using to help maintain the seal around your head.

Someone will likely say G26. Ignore them, it's a specialty lens for clay shooting and works really well for sporting clays/skeet/trap, and not good for just about anything else.

I would say use what you would normally use, i.e. if you wear Black Iridium normally just try that shooting, at least start there.

G26 is the only shooting specific lens Oakley makes. It is for medium bright light at best, it gives good contrast on orange and red colors. If you are shooting at any other color targets, it not any different than some of the other lens color choices. I have used it and it’s not bad, but it isn’t all that better or worse than some of the other lens colors. It is NOT just for clay shooting and Oakley has never promoted it just for that.

Latest Posts

Back