• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gray Polarized Vs Black Iridium Polarized

I am having the same dilemma. I got some Oakley Jawbones which I will use when cycling and also for other normal activities but less frequently. They came with grey lenses and I think they are pretty dark, at least darker than I was anticipating, but certainly not as dark or as reflective as black iridium polarized. I have had black iridium polarized in the past and they were great but I did notice at times they were too dark to catch detail unless its real sunny.

I require prescription lenses and I am going to buy rx lenses for these jawbones but they are very expensive and so I only want to buy 1 lens set. At this point I am leaning toward grey polarized simply because they work well in more lighting situations than the black iridium polarized and in addition they are cheaper in the rx version.

I also want to get a Black iridium polarized but i have the doubt which one should i get... Black or Grey iridium. What i dont like is the people can see my eyes through the lenses.

I am having the same dilemma. I got some Oakley Jawbones which I will use when cycling and also for other normal activities but less frequently. They came with grey lenses and I think they are pretty dark, at least darker than I was anticipating, but certainly not as dark or as reflective as black iridium polarized. I have had black iridium polarized in the past and they were great but I did notice at times they were too dark to catch detail unless its real sunny.

I require prescription lenses and I am going to buy rx lenses for these jawbones but they are very expensive and so I only want to buy 1 lens set. At this point I am leaning toward grey polarized simply because they work well in more lighting situations than the black iridium polarized and in addition they are cheaper in the rx version.
I also want to get a Black iridium polarized but i have the doubt which one should i get... Black or Grey iridium. What i dont like is the people can see my eyes through the lenses.
Tried chrome or chrome polar? Great detail in sun and still dark and blocks out a lot of light.

I always go with Black Iridium, for a few reasons listed below:
  • Like many have stated, I hate people being able to see my eyes. "Iridium" is the reflective coating on lenses that give it the mirrored look. This is a big difference between Grey Polarized and Black Iridium Polarized
  • I believe Black Iridium Polarized is one of the darkest lenses available with light transmission of around 9-11%.
  • Chrome Iridium Polarized is a good alternative, though it is much "flashier" IMO and stands out more than Black, which may not be appealing especially if you are a serviceman/women!

Luckily, there is no policy on lens colors at work for me, so iridium is no problem. That being said, I have a pair of white fuel cells that I replaced the black iridium lenses with ruby polarized. I was then able to get the cheapest pair of fuel cells (grey lens) through SI and simply swap out the lenses and put the black iridium in. I prefer the darker lens as well as the hiding of my eyes personally. However, if they get too damaged, I have the grey pair as a backup.

One other consideration for some people in some lines of work, if you constantly go from indoors to outdoors or are in frequently varying lighting conditions, that may influence your decision and lead you towards a lighter lens to reduce the amount of time your eyes spend adjusting.

Well, i'll go to a Oakley store to see the difference between dark iridiums. Unfortunately, in my country there ain't so much variety of products but i'll see what i get.

However, as i'm not a worker yet i don't have to follow any rules, so when I buy i base about 'how i look with them' that's the only concern. So, my concern it was about if the Black iridium is too dark to use with normally every day but i like how i look with black iridium.

I recently ordered Breadbox Polarized w/black iridium and Fuell Cell Ferrari.

$_35.JPG

My concern was higher when i saw people saying the BIP was too dark to use in normaly day. Where i live is spring but it's more like summer with a lot of sun but where i actually live there is a lot of buildings so sometimes there ain't so much sun.

I really like this model i think it looks great on my and also will be my first Polarized Oakley sunglasses :D

I already have Holbrook SW 24k Eyepatch 2 and a pair Ray ban justin with light iridium..

I Hope not get disappointed with these :)

Latest Posts

Back