• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Grey Lens

wilkie18

Oakley Expert
Maine
This may be a dumb question so sorry in advance. I have always used either black iridium or 00 BIP lens as I am some what new to having more then one pair of oakleys at a time. I recently have added a pair with grey lenses that I have been wearing and it seems like everytime I wear them it causes me to get a headache. I also get migraines from sun exsposure so that may be related but I was just wondering if this happens to others? Or if maybe it has just been to bright outside for them? Any thoughts on this would be great. I was thinking about getting a pair with Tungstin Iridium for more overcast days because the people on here talk so highly about them but I am nervous if th e grey is giving me headaches these may as well.
Thanks,

I've got grey in three of my six pairs (2 regular, 1 polarized). I like it quite a bit and it's actually darker than I thought it'd be when I first started out. I haven't had any issues with them. Only a handful of times did I feel they weren't dark enough, pretty much just when driving into a setting sun where it's directly in my eyes, which pretty much any lens would have issues with.

Grey is a medium lens, so if you are sensitive to sunlight it may cause headaches and you might need to wear a darker lens. My father has this exact problem as well. I would save your grey lens for an overcast day.

I get exposure migraines as well, my comfort zone on cloudy days is an ice iridium lenses, and on bright sunny days I go with bi or ruby iridium. Ice may be too dark for some on cloudy days, but I just don't **** around when it comes to migraine prevention. Mine get so bad that I will lose partial eyesight.

Yeah thanks for all the tips thats how my migranes are as well followed by vomiting so it is awesome. My motto is never leave home without excedrin. I have a pair of Science Fuel Cells with emerald comming so I am hoping those will work out for me. And I am trading my pendletons.

perhaps you should try to get lenses with iridium coating to minimize the brightness of the sun. grey lenses do not have the iridium...

Thanks for all the help i also realized I was wrong about the lens being grey they were warm grey which I am guessing is even worse? Warm grey isn't listed on the Oakley website. From now on unless I am MTN biking I think I will stick to iridium coated lenses.

Thanks for all the help i also realized I was wrong about the lens being grey they were warm grey which I am guessing is even worse? Warm grey isn't listed on the Oakley website. From now on unless I am MTN biking I think I will stick to iridium coated lenses.
Warm Grey is actually darker at 10% light transmission. It isn't iridium coated however.

Lens chart: http://www.evo.com/oakley-sunglasses-lens-tint-guide.aspx

Latest Posts

Back