• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

GRRR! Discovered defected thru bolt ...out of warranty

Mr. Bright5ide

Oakley Beginner
'Murica
Feeling a bit frustrated this morning after wanting to try out custom frame and lower jaw configurations :eek:

I wanted to switch the lower jaws on 2 pairs of Jawbones, so I went ahead and used a torx screwdriver to remove the lower jaws off the first pair - piece of cake. Took off the left jaw on the 2nd pair, no problem. However the right thru bolt wasn't that easy. When I finally got it out I noticed the lower threads on the right thru bolt didn't look right. I thought I'd try put it back together anyways - big mistake! The threads on the defect bolt appear to have gotten stuck and now the hexagonal housing got stripped in my efforts to remove it again. I'm left with a thru bolt that's not fully tightened and will not tighten any further nor come out.

Any ideas? I bought this pair in '13 so I guess I'm out of warranty. Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't tried to put it back together as I could have just bought another set of thru bolts but now I'm wondering how to get it out.

Here's what it looks like now:

2015-03-14%2011.50.47_zpskm3smegj.jpg

2015-03-14%2011.52.56_zpssptihmc7.jpg

Last edited:
They're really easy to cross-thread.

I've found that if you can find something rubbery to put it against it grips the opposite side when you unscrew (I use the tamp mat that I have for my espresso machine).

If that doesn't work, you're probably stuck drilling it out.

They're really easy to cross-thread.

I've found that if you can find something rubbery to put it against it grips the opposite side when you unscrew (I use the tamp mat that I have for my espresso machine).

If that doesn't work, you're probably stuck drilling it out.

A rubber grip mat isn't a bad idea. Going to try it on the gf's yoga mat

Actually the yoga mat was too "squishy" so I tried on a dumbbell rack mat but that was too hard. Going to try run it under hot water and repeat like a forum member suggested in another thread I came across. Otherwise I guess it'll have to be the drill route

Do you have a pot holder or trivet that's silicone? That's generally a grippy rubber.

I'm not sure what hot water will do on a cross thread, you need some force to get it apart - then ditch the bolt. Once you've cross threaded it it's easier to do it again.

Before trying the hot water solution I thought I'd try something else that ended up working well. I placed a plastic baggie over the bolt to protect the frame/jaw and held it in place with pliers. I was then able to easily unscrew it.

EDIT: I agree @Rustpot, although I was going to try anyways I don't really see how running under hot water would have helped in this case.

2015-03-14%2012.46.43_zpsv4bwp8g4.jpg

2015-03-14%2012.47.20_zpsdiwqmrgi.jpg

Last edited:
yikes. Those are the MPH ones right from the Vault right? I have the same pair. Guess I'm not messing with those.

Never quite sure why the hex interface wasn't designed more robustly and the bolts themselves are spec'd to be seemingly too soft — other than maybe they're decent against corrosion.

Back