• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gun cleaning

Eli

Oakley Beginner
So I am a new gun owner. I bought a .45 and a 12 gauge because I wanted something that meant business for home defense. The handgun was such a breeze and to clean and I never thought I'd ever enjoy cleaning something for once in my life. The 12 gauge on the other hand was a nightmare. It took me almost 2 hours to try and reassemble it even with a youtube video. My question is for future cleanings can I just clean the barrel and pour lube all over the outside and inside of gun for future cleanings or do I have to do this bs every single time? Also I'd like to know how often you're supposed to lube and clean a gun.

I was taught to do a full cleaning any time it gets dirty or moisture. Better safe than sorry…

What if I live in the desert and moisture is non existent for about 360 days out of the year?

Then I’d do it anytime you shoot it…

I had a Ruger 22 that was a bear to get apart and back together…after a few times, I got to be quite adept at it. I suspect you will have the same experience.

What if I live in the desert and moisture is non existent for about 360 days out of the year?
These are your first two posts on a sunglasses forum?
If youre storing your guns and not shooting, theres no reason to clean. I would advise cleaning after a round at the range. Other than that, no reason to clean

So I am a new gun owner. I bought a .45 and a 12 gauge because I wanted something that meant business for home defense. The handgun was such a breeze and to clean and I never thought I'd ever enjoy cleaning something for once in my life. The 12 gauge on the other hand was a nightmare. It took me almost 2 hours to try and reassemble it even with a youtube video. My question is for future cleanings can I just clean the barrel and pour lube all over the outside and inside of gun for future cleanings or do I have to do this bs every single time? Also I'd like to know how often you're supposed to lube and clean a gun.
I agree, clean after shooting and lube it correctly. When you clean it, do it the right way, or you’ll end up with a malfunctioning gun

These are your first two posts on a sunglasses forum?
If youre storing your guns and not shooting, theres no reason to clean. I would advise cleaning after a round at the range. Other than that, no reason to clean
This is a new account so I can't make posts about buying or selling for a while anyway. This is also my first and only account on the internet for forums. So it's more convenient for me to just post here. Besides I gotta make 35 posts before I can buy or sell so I'm gonna ask firearm related questions in the off topic part when I need to.

Now to get to the second part of what you said I don't store my guns. I have a 20 acre lot so I shoot them whenever I feel like it, which is every day.

I agree, clean after shooting and lube it correctly. When you clean it, do it the right way, or you’ll end up with a malfunctioning gun
but what I'm asking is does the entire components of the gun need to come out to clean it or is the barrel the only part that needs to be cleaned regularly? I don't mind cleaning the barrel of the gun but I absolutely loathe having to take all the components out to get clean the whole thing.

This is a new account so I can't make posts about buying or selling for a while anyway. This is also my first and only account on the internet for forums. So it's more convenient for me to just post here. Besides I gotta make 35 posts before I can buy or sell so I'm gonna ask firearm related questions in the off topic part when I need to.

Now to get to the second part of what you said I don't store my guns. I have a 20 acre lot so I shoot them whenever I feel like it, which is every day.
To be clear, youre a new gun owner, but you shoot them everyday? If youre a daily shooter then these are questions you already know the answer to.

but what I'm asking is does the entire components of the gun need to come out to clean it or is the barrel the only part that needs to be cleaned regularly? I don't mind cleaning the barrel of the gun but I absolutely loathe having to take all the components out to get clean the whole thing.
Yes, you need to clean all the parts that are near the chamber at least. The smaller pieces foul easier than the barrel. Carbon gets everywhere.

Back