• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hair gel WILL ruin Oakley lenses (duh)

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
This post is for the benefit of a person I sold a pair of Square Wire 2.0s to about 2 months ago. He/She messaged me today with the following:

Hi
I just wanted to let you know that I am having an issue with the lenses. they are peeling from contact with hair gel. the lenses appeared to be new. are they a knock off? If so I wish you would have been upfront about it. they are ruined!
So I reply:

The lenses were brand new. I have a lot of brand new lenses directly from Oakley warranty and installed them myself. Oakley lenses will DEFINITELY peel when they come into repeated contact with hair gel or anything like that. They need to be cleaned every time you wear them, especially if you wear hair products and sit the glasses on your head. On Oakley's website there is a section on lens care.

I only sell authentic Oakley products.

Then I get:

I would say the lenses are BVANQ polarized. I only buy square wire 2.0 as they are my favorite. I have about 10 pairs and I know the lenses are discontinued. please do not try to strong arm me!

WTF? Who am I trying to strong arm? So I reply:

I don't know what BVANQ is. All the lenses and frames I sell are authentic Oakley. If you look, almost everything I have for sale is discontinued by at least 10 years. I've been collecting and selling Oakley's for over 20 years. I've already explained what hair gel does to Oakley lenses. How am I trying to strong arm you?
Then I get:

I have never had this happen to authentic oakley lenses.
Then me:

You would be the first.
Him:

sure
Finally I sent:

I'm really not sure what you want from me. You used the glasses for two months and said you got hair gel on them and it made them peel. I'm telling you that if you don't clean them, THAT WILL HAPPEN. Have you researched this? Because I have.

If you're really interested, you can search the Oakley Forum. There are a few threads on this topic. You can also see all the lenses I have for sale, a lot I've sold, and the collectors I've sold to. All without issue.
So, to the guy, if you decide to come check us out, hair gel still ruins lenses.

The rest of you feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
I had a guy ask me up front shipping fees on eBay. I gave them to him. He agreed to buy. Then he left me negative feedback with "excessive postal charges" as his reasoning.

There are a lot of Mo-Rons out there. Be careful. My favorite State, CA, keeps sounding more and more dumb.

@SiRacer420 is definitely selling genuine lenses. After selling Oakley for 16 years I can "smell" a fake if I'm even in the room with it. Don't worry about it bro. We know you are good.

Hair Gel. Dummy!

I left a guy a negative over shipping once. He said he would only ship in a large flat rate box and it was already packed up. So i paid the $13. When the box got here it was a regular box with $6 worth of first class shipping. Dude flat out lied so I asked him about it. He cussed me up on side and down the other. He got a negative. He then learned he can't leave a buyer a negative. (Which is bullshit in my opinion).

That's crazy the guy asked you first and then was pissed. Douchebag I guess. Can't please em all.

Don't worry, your state will never beat FloriDUH in the dumbass department.

Back