• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Half X 2.0

Zax

Chicago
So.........I went into this not knowing what I was doing really. More of an experimental thing since the lenses were already scratched up. Well, these pictures are kind of hard to compare the standard lens too due to no before and after shots (which I just thought of), or a second pair to compare with. It was actually really easy to sand down the lens, and did this without a dremel. The actual lens at the bottom is rather smooth as I used wet sanding to make sure it came out nicely, but in the process I somehow (and I was EXTREMELY Careful about this) got a nasty scratch on the left lens. I have NO idea how it even happened, as the lenses were covered with tape, but whatever. They are a beater lens anyways haha. Here's the result!

C3SeH.jpg

0Tb56.jpg

Ztb3I.jpg

Just as a reference, there was the Polarized Etching on the bottom left hand corner before I started this. Also, I used a disc, belt and oscillating sander, along with my own elbow grease with some 600 Grit paper. I'm afraid to go down even more, just due to how the frame has the lens in place, but it wasn't a bad first try. What do you guys think?

Edit: Just a reminder, I am no robot. These are not 100% symmetrical nor perfectly shaped haha.

Haha, I'm more of a conserved guy lol. The furthest I've ever gone with "aggresive" is the Chrome Half Jacket with Vr28 BIP. I thought I was flashy with that already!

That would be really hard to do actually. It was pretty difficult getting all the edges sanded down equally :(. Maybe there's an easier way, but I found this to be the fastest way. The other problem, which was kind of silly, was that I couldn't mark my lines due to the Hydrophobic Lens coating haha.

That would be really hard to do actually. It was pretty difficult getting all the edges sanded down equally :(. Maybe there's an easier way, but I found this to be the fastest way. The other problem, which was kind of silly, was that I couldn't mark my lines due to the Hydrophobic Lens coating haha.

hahaha! should just use a blade and scar it if you're certain on the place to cut..! hydrophobic isnt gonna stand up to a blade!

They still look a little goofy on me, but I think it's the actual frame. It dips so low by the nose area compared to the Lifestyle frames, so it gives me this Alien look. Maybe that's what the X Metals go for? Either way, the lens trimmed down makes it much more enjoyable to use. I'm going to go take another 1/16" off and see how it works. I'm kind of hesitant right now though, since its like...perfectly symmetrical haha. I'm lazy :tongue:

I kind of want to buy some Vr28 BIP and test those out...but I don't want to screw up a brand new set haha. I also was thinking of trying out the Visionary Lenses on them, but don't know how well that will work because of the difference in quality.

Latest Posts

Back