• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HAlf-X metal lens question

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
Picked up a Half Jacket 2.0 not long ago, and they are really growing on me. So, I'm toying with the notion of getting a Half-X. I'm curious as to how they relate to in size. Are they bigger, smaller, same size as the Half Jacket 2.0? If they are bigger than the Half Jacket 2.0, I probably won't be interested. I'm hoping the Half-X is the same as the Half Jacket 2.0 but just in a metal frame. I always stayed away from models that had the actual lens exposed or not completely surrounded by the frame.

I would also like to know if replacement lenses for the Half-X are strictly for the Half-X...or, could I use Half Jacket lenses on the Half-X? If so...would they have to be from a Half Jacket 1.0, 2.0, XL, XLJ? Thanks in advance! Would sure like a Half Jacket in a METAL frame with standard 2.0 size lenses (not XL or XLJ).

lenses are not interchangeable. size is probably close. both of them are smallish on me so I would not be the best reference for fit. I recommend buying em since they are the cheapest to purchase but do have hard to find replacement rubbers. the lenses however are fairly accessible.

Gotcha, thanks. According to O-Review, there looks to only be 6 different types of lenses to pick from....or are there more?? My guess is that it would be hard to find a donor lens and have them cut to fit...just a guess.

@DrtyHarry, have you considered a Romeo 2? Much nicer than the Half X.

The only issue is the lens availability although Linegear do do some. Not sure how easy it would be to get custom cut ones. The design looks a little fiddly to do (that is just my observation).

Nooooooo half X! lol As @XMetalAddict suggested, the R2 is a far superior frame. Linegear makes decent lenses for them and is researching the rubbers for production soon! Stick with the R2, its my favorite frame for all day wear because of how light it is and how awesome it looks!

How does the R2 compare in size to the Half Jacket 2.0? I think the R1 I once tried on a while back was a bit big on me. I prefer smaller frames like the Penny & Square Wire...Juliets are the largest I wear. Even the two Half Jacket 2.0s I got. I did not like the XL lenses at all...only the regular 2.0 lenses. Even though the difference is small...but I could def notice. So how does the R2 fit in? I love my Square Wires soooo much, especially the titanium frames. They weigh NOTHING. I love my Pennys and Juliets, but my titanium Square Wires with polar lenses just can't be beat, IMHO. The plastic Half Jackets I like because they are not too big, and are also very light. But...they feel cheap and flimsy compared to any X-Metal. Thoughts? Thanks for the help fellas!

How does the R2 compare in size to the Half Jacket 2.0? I think the R1 I once tried on a while back was a bit big on me. I prefer smaller frames like the Penny & Square Wire...Juliets are the largest I wear. Even the two Half Jacket 2.0s I got. I did not like the XL lenses at all...only the regular 2.0 lenses. Even though the difference is small...but I could def notice. So how does the R2 fit in? I love my Square Wires soooo much, especially the titanium frames. They weigh NOTHING. I love my Pennys and Juliets, but my titanium Square Wires with polar lenses just can't be beat, IMHO. The plastic Half Jackets I like because they are not too big, and are also very light. But...they feel cheap and flimsy compared to any X-Metal. Thoughts? Thanks for the help fellas!
It is difficult to compare the R2 to Juliets due to the lens angles/shape. However, it is slightly larger, but does not feel as deep as the Flak XLJ lens. Almost a half way house between the smaller Flak lens and the XLJ. The frame is very comfortable. I would definitely wear it more if it had Rx lenses and a different colour lens from the Titanium one (not so keen on the base tint). A VR28 or BIP would be perfect!

I will try an post some pics tomorrow comparing some of the frames you mentioned above.

I would concur with everyone else. R2 superior to Half X. Half X hinges also tend to be problematic. On the bright side Half X can be acquired fairly cheap. I would place the size of a Half X to be close to Flak Jacket.

Latest Posts

Back