• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Half-X Repair?

D-Man

Oakley Beginner
Hello all,

Last year, my beloved set of Black Half-X/Iridiums went down hard, with the right earstem popping off. At the time, I figured I'd just send it in to Oakley and have fixed, little did I know the Half-X had long since been discontinued. I disassembled the entire thing in an effort to see if it could be repaired. The hinges are still functional (though I have heard they are another point of failure), and the only thing that I could determine was that the set screw in the earstem had backed out, allowing the internal spring to pop free.

Not having the proper hex driver for this set screw, the glasses are now languishing in a baggie. Can anyone recommend the proper hex driver size for the screw? I have a backup pair that I am wearing cautiously, as the set screw looks like it is also backing out.

Reading the forums, it sounds like there may be hope to bring these frames back to full functionality (with the advent of new hinges/hinge options). Great community, thanks a bunch!

~D

If I'm not mistaken, I think the screws in the Half X are T6 Torx, but I'm not entirely sure. I also know @jdd32 makes custom screws for the Half X, so he might be able to help you out

Thanks, Fresh. The T6 driver fits the screws on the oculars (for removing the lenses), but the set screw on the earstem is standard hex driver, and is ridiculously small. I got a bunch of .028" drivers, but they were too small, and realized I should have just asked from the start.

Thanks, Fresh. The T6 driver fits the screws on the oculars (for removing the lenses), but the set screw on the earstem is standard hex driver, and is ridiculously small. I got a bunch of .028" drivers, but they were too small, and realized I should have just asked from the start.
Well I don't have a Half X so I can't really tell you much about them, but I'm sure jdd32 might help you out, he makes all those weird pieces that tend to either brake or never appear on the market for X metals, he is your best bet. You'll be able to send him a PM when you either have 15 messages and a few days in the forum or if you turn into a Premium Member, I tagged him in my past answers, so lets hope he replies.

Those tiny screws on the earstem use a super tiny hex driver which i don't even have nor bothered. I usually get away with a T3 or T4 driver and go extremely gentle on them.

Oh, and don't lose those screws... I don't have replacements nor am I keen on making replacements for those until i finish off some of my existing projects first (there's too many fires in the kitchen right now, so to speak)

00v0v_fovYB6FFsx6_600x450.jpg

If all else fails, local sale as of two days ago $120. Parts.

Hello,

I have a similar, or the same problem. I have X-Metal Half X and the left arm just came off? Has there been any luck at getting them replaced? I contact Oakley, and they responded with the party line "not due to manufacturer defects. Which is fine, I just want an option to have them repaired. Any thoughts?

16521552_1368878759829718_1471594404_n.jpg

16521897_1368878773163050_24010833_n.jpg

16558553_1368878763163051_1321850369_n.jpg

16559095_1368878776496383_2130754487_n.jpg

Latest Posts

Back