• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Half X Worth?

Value = [(demand/preference)*subjectivity]

The Half-X frames are generally not the most desirable of the family, but I personally don't think they are any more of a black sheep than an R2 or Mars. I know a few folks who actually prefer them. Also consider that finding a pair with good OEM lenses is not that easy. If you don't care about the lenses (why would you, they are only sunglasses you look through constantly, right?) - then you can score some aftermarket lenses on the cheap and get a decent frame for ~$200 ... make sure it has good rubbers as they are also getting hard to find. I recall my rounds with a few custom Half-X's where the negotiation over the prices seems to emphasize the inclusion and condition of the rubbers (hint, hint).

That said I consider a good Half-X frame with clean OEM lenses and decent rubbers to be worth mid-to-upper 2's, low-to-mid 3's boxed - low 4's for sealed/mint would not be unreasonable in my opinion.

The last couple of Half-X deals I have done have been trades for Juliet frames. I think the other parties who got the Half-X's made out on the deal considering the nose bridges were toast on the pairs I received, so many retreads in the X-Metal pool these days, its not as healthy of an environment for a flex coupler to grow up in these days. You don't have that problem on the Half-X and if you take a little bit of time to understand the hinges [that many seem to complain about] you may just find they are not so bad to work with. I have minimal concern for my kids grabbing a Half-X on the run compared to a Juliet, or any other X-Metal. There have been many times when I was thankful for the smaller profile as well. :)

Quick question for you guys, was there ever a half x edition with ruby lenses? I've been shown a couple of models with these lenses and they look amazing, but I couldn't find the model in O review or anywhere in the forum, anyone has any info on them?

Well, I just snagged one on ebay for $132 shipped. Comes with an XM vault. Was not labeled as a half x so I had little competition. Needs new rubber and lenses but the vault alone is $35 all day long, so I'm happy... Yes, the hinges and arms are intact and working. Deals are out there, I'll find some rubber to fit on there to make it work like new.

Well, I just snagged one on ebay for $132 shipped. Comes with an XM vault. Was not labeled as a half x so I had little competition. Needs new rubber and lenses but the vault alone is $35 all day long, so I'm happy... Yes, the hinges and arms are intact and working. Deals are out there, I'll find some rubber to fit on there to make it work like new.

Yep that was a great deal. Would be curious to see the arms.. Couldn't tell if it was finish damage or just goo from the rubbers. Looked like it had some finish issues by the hinge.

Yep that was a great deal. Would be curious to see the arms.. Couldn't tell if it was finish damage or just goo from the rubbers. Looked like it had some finish issues by the hinge.
I'm sure it does, could always have it blasted when jdd32 puts those solid hinges on there that he's been working on, lol. I didn't buy it for what it currently is, but for what it could be, lol

I recently sold a mint Half X X-metal colour. I regret it now, even though it had no box. Very comfortable to wear, especially with the hinge mechanism (as long as it works, I guess!!). I actually find they fit better than the Romeo 2 which seems to be tipping forward on my head (first time I've noticed I must have high ears, or a low nose!!! LOL).

Even though they seem unpopular, there's not a lot of them floating around. Also, because of the hinge damage and difficulty in replacing, I think that they're becoming rarer. It doesn't surprise me that they're become more expensive.