• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has Anyone Else Tried Nano Clear?

The SI Flaks I bought a year or two ago came with the little pen to reapply the coating. I noticed it brought them back to nearly original condition to where they'd resist water and oils and they'd clean up so easily.

I used the same pen on other lenses without as much success. They required frequent applications as I think any time you wiped them off (often for me) it would remove the nano clear. My pen dried up and I didn't plunk down the cash for the kit.

Just got my kit today and put it on all my lenses, the stuff is amazing. If the pre-applied coating is better than this, that's just ridiculous. I cleaned the lenses thoroughly with soap and water before applying, put the coating on one side of each lens and waited about 5 minutes. I buffed the coating back off with the included cloth after that and repeated for the other side and tested them in the sink, and it really is amazing how the water just falls off. I thoroughly cleaned the lenses again after that and tried one more time and it worked just as well, so I don't know if cleaning them really wipes it off. Maybe it just takes more set up time? Very happy with the results so far though.

I've tried 30 seconds, half hour, hour, overnight. I am not seeing it. Oh well.
I've never had a pair with the factory coating so I have no baseline for comparison. All I know is the stuff works wonders over the stock uncoated lenses. Have you thought about trying to exchange your kit? Or taking it to an o store and showing them the comparison? If it is really as drastic a difference as you say then I'd be lead to believe that either something is wrong with the kit/pen you have or the coating they use in the factory is different from what they sell you.

Well it's always a possibility. I got mine from sunglass hut the store, but I order a 2nd kit off their website so I'll try it.
When you have a factory-hydrophobic, and you run it under a sink, the water literally just falls off, and it feels like they never get fingerprints

Like I mentioned before the Nano kit won't be better than the glasses that already come with pre-treated lenses (like your Fast Jacket) but they are great on non-treated glasses.

I just assumed you meant that you thought I was trying to apply it to glasses that already had hydrophobic coatings.

Did Fast Jackets ever have a hydrophobic coating? I got mine today and the water falls off immediately like my other hphobic glasses.
Fast Jackets and their replacement lenses have the factory hydrophobic coating. Whether that changes remains to be seen...but everything Fast Jacket-related that I've had my hands on up to now has had the factory-applied treatment.

Sounds like the pen is a hit or miss. I'm looking to pick one up and give it a try soon. has I anyone found alternatives to oakley's solution?

Back