• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has Anyone Had Their X Metals Custom Painted Or Powder Coated?

Miami Bad Boy BOSS

Oakley Beginner
My X Metal XX 24Ks are looking rough; I was thinking of having them stripped down and painted or maybe powder coated. Has anyone done this and if so, how has it held up? Please post pics of your custom frames, if you have them!

Thanks!

There was a guy on e-bay a few years back that was selling any color you wanted Juliets, I do believe that he was having them powder coated! but he was also working with the guy that was contracted to make the brown coating. I would check with Oakley,maybe they can give a good places to go or better details on how to get it redone.

I think might I know who you may be talking about on ebay. I talked to a guy there about doing a polished gold and silver two tone colour, but he said he couldn't do it so that was that; that's been a few years now. What do you mean by " brown coating;" is it like a primer or something?

I just doing want to strip my frames and have them painted, just to find out that the paint will not adhere to what ever material the X Metals are made out of. One thing I was giving thought to after I posted this thread is, what about the gaskets, especially the set that is in the bridge; how do you remove them so that they will not melt during the baking process of the powder coating!?

Thanks for your post!

I think might I know who you may be talking about on ebay. I talked to a guy there about doing a polished gold and silver two tone colour, but he said he couldn't do it so that was that; that's been a few years now. What do you mean by " brown coating;" is it like a primer or something?

I just doing want to strip my frames and have them painted, just to find out that the paint will not adhere to what ever material the X Metals are made out of. One thing I was giving thought to after I posted this thread is, what about the gaskets, especially the set that is in the bridge; how do you remove them so that they will not melt during the baking process of the powder coating!?

Thanks for your post!

The frame needs to be broken down first, before painting it.... Oakley won't do any custom work to your frames.......Currently other than Oakley, there are a couple of guys that have the capability to re-assemble the Juliets, XX, etc with factory rivits....

Why painting or powder coating and not electro polishing or anodizing?

I was talking about the brown Juliet's that came out for a few, and now cost an arm An a leg on eBay. That's true Oakley won't due custome work. I think painting would'nt last, never tried it, but on models and metal figurines they also chiped off when I was a kid!

I was talking about the brown Juliet's that came out for a few, and now cost an arm An a leg on eBay. That's true Oakley won't due custome work. I think painting would'nt last, never tried it, but on models and metal figurines they also chiped off when I was a kid!

My Brown Juliet is a really dark coffee color. Had I not known the JBR serial I'd believe it was a Carbon Juliet

3egybese.jpg

The frame needs to be broken down first, before painting it.... Oakley won't do any custom work to your frames.......Currently other than Oakley, there are a couple of guys that have the capability to re-assemble the Juliets, XX, etc with factory rivits....

Do they have the gaskets, that support the flex in the bridge, too? Can you post their contact info here, or in PM if need be.

Thanks!

I understand now ;)

Back