• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has Anyone Had Their X Metals Custom Painted Or Powder Coated?

Well Alsa Corp said that the Chrome FX and Killer Chrome in the spray can will work, but at $400 for the FX kit and $200 for the Killer kit, that's a large investment.

Has anyone used the FX or Killer Chrome?

MB³

yes, and it doesn't work. At all. Looks awesome, until you clear it, then goes to sh!t. Their product is complete trash and their service is also. Trust me, I spent the $400 on the kit to try, 3 trips to LA, and maybe 8 hours of sitting around their place to have the same results. Plus, their little red pump guns crap out after 1-2 uses. Results are mediocre at best. Best possibility is to take your frame to a jeweler or someone capable of polishing it to a mirror, then have one of the guys who does the gold plating on car emblems do it. Powdercoat offers something close to chrome, but still not as reflective.

Thanks for the info Doc! So the grey metal will polish, didn't know that. What does it look like polished? Any pics!?

I wasn't looking for real gold, just the gold chrome, but gold plating is an option at least. What about the mat black I want for the orbs? Can that be painted on?

MB³

Thanks for the info Doc! So the grey metal will polish, didn't know that. What does it look like polished? Any pics!?

I wasn't looking for real gold, just the gold chrome, but gold plating is an option at least. What about the mat black I want for the orbs? Can that be painted on?

MB³

Look up a polished Juliet lol. They were a standard colorway

Look up a polished Juliet lol. They were a standard colorway

WOW! They really polish up nicely! I wonder gold candy clear over it, would look.

PolishedOakleyXMetal.png

MB³

WOW! They really polish up nicely! I wonder gold candy clear over it, would look.

PolishedOakleyXMetal.png

MB³
Gold Candy is kind of a waste on a frame like that. It will be subject to chipping and everything else. I can do them like the plastic glasses, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it. Unless it is plated, it just won't hold up that well in my opinion. Polish it, then plate it. Longest wear if you plan on wearing them. If not, then candy will work fine since no contact or wear will occur...

Gold Candy is kind of a waste on a frame like that. It will be subject to chipping and everything else. I can do them like the plastic glasses, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it. Unless it is plated, it just won't hold up that well in my opinion. Polish it, then plate it. Longest wear if you plan on wearing them. If not, then candy will work fine since no contact or wear will occur...

All the Dr. said in his last two posts is straight truth. Most paints will not adhere to a polished surface, most need a mechanical bond, ie: tooth for it to stick. Candy gold will be more of a yellow tint, not gold. A friend of mine used to own a powdercoat company and their "chrome" powdercoat was a vacuum metalized aluminum over a specific coating designed for the metalization to stick to , then the whole thing was quickly cleared. It had a fairly thick mil finish, doubt it would work at all for glasses with parts and pieces to have a precision fit. Alsa's products generally suck and don't deliver on the grandiose promises. House of Kolor Kosmic Krome is also hard to apply and get a real looking chrome effect. The gold isn't bad, the aluminum is pretty good. Best bet is like he said, do a quality polish job, and find someone who does real gold plating on it. Anything else likely will look like **** and reduce the value...
Tim

My X Metal XX 24Ks are looking rough; I was thinking of having them stripped down and painted or maybe powder coated. Has anyone done this and if so, how has it held up? Please post pics of your custom frames, if you have them!

Thanks!
love the polished chrome

What to do...!? What to do...!? I guess the only feasible option is to get the Gold Plated. Wonder how much that's going to run, with today's gold market!?

What about the black mat for the orbs; what would be the best way to tackle that?

MB³

Back