• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has Anyone Had Their X Metals Custom Painted Or Powder Coated?

IMO the XS fits bigger heads and doesn't look funny since the proportions and size seem larger. I very well could be wrong but i just see you ending up with a very expensive WRECKED pair of glasses, not to mention most 24K plating looks cheap as hell. It looks cheap on car emblems and i bet it will look cheap on your previously valuable glasses. Real 24k Oakleys will likely always have value and you could always sell them and not lose $$$ if you don't like the look. My advice would be to try on a pair of XS and see if they fit your melon. If they do, score the 24K version of those. Again JMO.......but if you do end up trying to re-invent the wheel, post before and after pics...
Tim

i think this is something similar to what you have in mind?

p1020759r.jpg

p1020757d.jpg

this is a combination of a X-metal Juliet and a 24k XX. done by the Doc.

These are absolutely beautiful glasses. Doc does some damn good work

IMO the XS fits bigger heads and doesn't look funny since the proportions and size seem larger. I very well could be wrong but i just see you ending up with a very expensive WRECKED pair of glasses, not to mention most 24K plating looks cheap as hell. It looks cheap on car emblems and i bet it will look cheap on your previously valuable glasses. Real 24k Oakleys will likely always have value and you could always sell them and not lose $$$ if you don't like the look. My advice would be to try on a pair of XS and see if they fit your melon. If they do, score the 24K version of those. Again JMO.......but if you do end up trying to re-invent the wheel, post before and after pics...
Tim

well the cost to Plate mine and black out the orbs are a fraction of the price on the X².

As for gold plating looking cheap, I both agree and disagree. I've seen some jobs that was an embarrassment and some that I could not tell the difference between my real gold chains and the plated. I had an 18k 200g (7oz) gold figaro bracelet and a buddy of mine had this big ass silver chain that he had plated and I could not tell the difference. Now will I get mine to look that good, I'll do my best.

MB³

These are absolutely beautiful glasses. Doc does some damn good work

Dude I know! The gold with black orbs is exactly what I want, but with a polished gold. I just wish he was able to do the polished gold plating!

MB³

Xx fit bigger for me

Dude my skull's huge, I need that "bigger" they offer, lol...

MB³

well the cost to Plate mine and black out the orbs are a fraction of the price on the X².

As for gold plating looking cheap, I both agree and disagree. I've seen some jobs that was an embarrassment and some that I could not tell the difference between my real gold chains and the plated. I had an 18k 200g (7oz) gold figaro bracelet and a buddy of mine had this big ass silver chain that he had plated and I could not tell the difference. Now will I get mine to look that good, I'll do my best.

all i'm saying plating pure silver and cast titanium alloy are two different things, the key to a successful job is in the polishing. Any surface porosity affects the tone and the reflectivity. I would talk to a jeweler and maybe buy a damaged pair to test polish and have plated. Then send the orbitals to either Dr Chop or X Man. Good luck.
Tim

Back