• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has anyone noticed different builds of single wide xmetal case?

rmontez

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Wisconsin
I was moving cases around today and noticed one considerably heavier than the other 2. When I took a closer look I noticed one has double stacked corner braces. Couldn’t believe the weight difference in the cases.

662CC207-12B8-4A97-BC34-E5B18C4DE376.jpeg
37E8BED4-FED7-49E1-8D72-07796C77D226.jpeg

The case with the 2-ply corners are Gen 1 release w/2 separate exposed drawers. The Gen 2 has the single ply corners and 1 door covering both doors. Local Oakley rep told me they received to many complaints from customers stating the Gen 1’s were too heavy to keep moving around shops. Not sure the truth behind that but makes sense.

The case with the 2-ply corners are Gen 1 release w/2 separate exposed drawers. The Gen 2 has the single ply corners and 1 door covering both doors. Local Oakley rep told me they received to many complaints from customers stating the Gen 1’s were too heavy to keep moving around shops. Not sure the truth behind that but makes sense.
Thank you for that explanation. My thought went to cost saving on Oakley’s part but what you say makes sense. I honestly couldn’t believe the weight difference.

Latest Posts

Back