• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has Anyone Painted A Double Or Single Wide?

@ drchop - so what you're saying is, if I remove these 8 bolts (the 4 highlighted and 4 on the other side) I can just pull the the assembly that holds the plexi out of the frame of the doublewide? Then once its out, I can pull the plexi out of that and get it all powdercoated?

2012-11-15162126-1.jpg

Correct. The posts I was referring to that hold in the plexi are those tabs sticking up through the base of the top (just below your circled bolts). Once you pop the top, those become loose and you can remove the plexi. Now would be a fantastic time to replace the crappy OEM plexi for something a bit less scratch prone.

Spray your case with Plasti Dip. You'll still have that matte black finish and it's totally reversible if you decide you don't like it, or decide to sell the case down the line and the buyer is only interested in the original finish.

You could also spray it with Plasti Dip and then spray over it with regular paint. It'll still come off fairly easy.

Plastidip is easy to work with and can peel right off when you want to remove it. However it takes a decent amount to get an even, consistent coat. If you do it right though it looks very good. Also make sure you have a lot of ventilation and are wearing a face mask. You don't want to breathe in rubber paint particles.

I did some splatter on this Holbrook using Plastidip for practice:

Also check out their create a color kit too:

Dip Coating & Specialty Rubber Coating | Plasti Dip Create Your Color Kit

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had a discussion about doing a custom aluminum cube by high polish first , then gold anodizing it to more resemble 24K. Has anyone anodized one of these? How about real 24K plating or vacuum metalizing?
Tim

Latest Posts

Back